Primary for 4 weeks, SG is 1.000 (!) - but still bubbling in blowoff!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
I brewed a saison four Saturday's ago tomorrow, and it's been in primary (6g better bottle) since then. I was hoping to bottle tomorrow but the blowoff is still bubbling every minute or so.

So this morning I took a SG reading and it's 1.000! This is using Wyeast 3711 so I heard it makes a pretty dry brew.

AWveWYT.jpg

nXvfkrM.jpg

After taking the sample and putting the bung back within 10 minutes it's back to bubbling... sometimes the bubbles are only 10 - 30 s apart. Sometimes a minute or so.

How am I still getting bubbles in my blowoff when it must be done fermenting (?). I'm thinking:
- It's infected (although there are no other indications that this is the case... the sample tasted great)
- It's due to the temperature fluctuations in my room where the beer is (my living room, and we don't have the A/C on yet so the temp does fluctuate)
- There is suspended CO2 or something that is slowly releasing.

Most importantly -- would you go ahead and bottle tomorrow? That's what I was planning to do but had my reservations due to the bubbles.

:mug:

Being that it's at 1.000 and the clarity is fantastic by the way, it should be fine. You could wait a couple of days to check the SG again to make sure it stays at 1.000, but you are likely fine. The offgassing could be because of the temperature and the fact that you disturbed it. Shouldn't be an issue. If anything that should be reassurance that you're not oxidated. If there was no film or other odd things on the top it's not infected. I think you're good. I'd check again tomorrow or Sunday, and if you're steady, bottle away

sounds about right for 3711. it's just CO2 coming out of suspension from temp changes, vibrations, etc, its good to go

I've read that since fermentation puts some of the carbonation into the beer itself, this residual carbonation can escape the beer (causing the airlock to bubble) for quite some time after carbonation is done. My first two batches still had intermittent airlock activity (a gurgle every 1-2 minutes) 3 weeks after being in primary. I bottled it anyways and if it wern't for the fact that I added 5-10 times too much priming sugar, they would probably have been lovely.

Hello, great looking beer BTW, and just so you know a SG (Starting Gravity) is the first reading you take right before you pitch your yeast into the wort.

Your 1.000 reading after fermentation is your FG (Final Gravity) reading.

Just thought that you might want know, if it wasn't a typo.

Yes bottle it.

Cheers :)

Like others have touched on, airlock activity is pretty meaningless at this point. It's likely bubbling because co2 generated during fermentation is escaping. 1.000 is as low as it's gonna go, give or take ~.001. And with that kinda clarity, it's not dropping anymore. As long as your tastebuds tell you it's ready, go ahead an bottle.

When your OG hits 1.000 it's probably safe to bottle, unless you're waiting for the yeast to clean up after themselves

Im trying my own homemade wine i did a reading on my hydrometer and its showing approximate potential is 20% is this good or bad any and all help will be greatly appreciated thanks and if you could email me at [email protected] that would be great thanks brewers cheers

image.jpg

+1 to what others have said, epecially wanted to echo a big thumbs up on that clarity! Makes mine look like swampwater! :rockin:

Gah! Taken in again by necrobumpers with out of focus pics of the wrong side of hydrometers!

That like...6 times this month. At least!

Latest posts

Back