Albany Area Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did your store make out after all the flooding? Was going to drive out and buy some ingredients from you before all of this took place, but all my equipment except for my brew kettle got wrecked in our flooding :(

That's terrible. It flooded in Utica then? WOw I haven't been watching the news.

I have some stuff I could give that I don't use.

bottling bucket
fermentation bucket
5 gallon carboy/ with cap and airlock
lots of bottles

Any brewers near Oneonta? I work at a local brewery and also homebrew when I get the chance . Would love to brew with some locals and see what we come up with

That's terrible. It flooded in Utica then? WOw I haven't been watching the news.

I have some stuff I could give that I don't use.

bottling bucket
fermentation bucket
5 gallon carboy/ with cap and airlock
lots of bottles

Yeah my hometown says Utica but I'm actually about 15 minutes east in Mohawk. I really appreciate your offer. For now, with a move coming in the near future anyway, I will hold off on taking on any new brew equipment. Again, though, thanks alot :mug:

sccullen33 said:
Any brewers near Oneonta? I work at a local brewery and also homebrew when I get the chance . Would love to brew with some locals and see what we come up with

Sccullen33,

We are doing a brewing demo at the Schoharie county fair on August 3rd if you'd like to come a brew. Pm me for details

uphillbrewer said:
Sccullen33,

We are doing a brewing demo at the Schoharie county fair on August 3rd if you'd like to come a brew. Pm me for details

Also open to other area home brewers!

Oh man that sucks,would love to do that but we have a huge event at the brewery that day. About 135 different brewery's and a 4 hour unlimited tasting, bands, food etc. Ever been up to check it out?

sccullen33 said:
Oh man that sucks,would love to do that but we have a huge event at the brewery that day. About 135 different brewery's and a 4 hour unlimited tasting, bands, food etc. Ever been up to check it out?

Not that day, but other times for sure. Sound like a great time, wish i could go. There is also a simple home brew contest at the fair too, mail in entry.

I work at Ommegang . Bctc is a great time for beer lovers. is this gonna be your 1st time?

Nope, I've been there for the past three years, this'll be my fourth. We always camp out on Saturday and it really is a great time.

Maybe we could do some kind of trade. I have a pretty good stock of all our brews and a lot of our imports. Also have some Game of Thrones.

I buy some of my feed from them as well, they're very close. And you're a Misfits fan? I used to run a small punk/hardcore record label a ways back.

- Sean

I grew up at Max's Kansas City , The Ritz and CBGB's listening to The Ramones every weekend and Wendy O Williams etc

I do still listen to Danzig and The Misfits

I buy chicken and duck feed from them every other week they are to dusty for horse feed I use Arnold's for that down in Amsterdam

all the best and have a great weekend

S_M

For anyone local to Schoharie County that is entering the Homebrew competition at the fair, the deadline is today for entry (4-7 PM)

Anyone going to the fair next week be sure to look out for "BJ Ale" with the cat on the label, on display under the grandstand, it's mine!

3BB001 said:
How did the homebrewing at the fair go?

Fair brew event went well. There were 3 brewers that came altogether, 2 homebrewers and one soon-to-be pro brewer. We had a lot of people stop by and ask questions. The homebrew contest had 13 entries and was a success, considering it was the first year. We are looking at doing it again next year and trying to grow it a bit.

Any info you can share on the soon to be pro brewer? Just wondering if I know them.

Green Wolf Brewing. Opening a 2bbl brew house in Middleburgh in the fall. Right now, he is still a homebrewer, but he has some awesome plans.

Here are a few pictures I took at the brew demo

7n7aI2rl.jpg

hcOYRaDl.jpg

pNh0xjal.jpg

zIae1Qxl.jpg

38h8lhel.jpg

FwZi4LMl.jpg

Kai8imDl.jpg

6wiIMV3l.jpg

that's my surly Cynic kit in the last picture, really glad I always use a blowoff tube for the first couple days, had one my my most vigorous fermentations yet

Nice! Thanks for taking some pictures! Luckily I had enough head space to avoid a major blow out.

Nice! Thanks for taking some pictures! Luckily I had enough head space to avoid a major blow out.

I use a 3/4" ID hose for my blow off into a 1 gallon jug with about 1/2 gallon on santized water in it, I had 1/2" of trub in it monday morning

Hope everyone's summer has been eventful. We will be placing a bulk order within the next week. Anyone looking for supplies, bulk grains, or equipment let us know. This will save you shipping cost and keep your grains or supplies at good price. PM me or call us. You can also visit our website at ajsbrewerysupplies.com . Supplies will arrive first week in September. So go thru your needs and let us know...even if its small item we can serve your needs.

Hey everyone! Just following up with anyone that is looking into a bulk buy order. We are going to be placing one on sept 6th. If anyone is interested in ordering anything at all let us know and we will add it to our order. Thanks and enjoy your brews.

Just a heads up Homebrew Emporium over by HVCC is having a fall grain buy

your order has to be in by Sept. 14 with a pick up between Sept. 21-31

they have US 2 Row for 40 dollars a 50 pound bag and other grains are 20 % off (which I have no idea of their price )

but not a bad price on the 2 row and they also have 10 lbs bags of specialty grains for 15 dollars

I just picked up 6 - 55 pound bags in a group in Buffalo but will be picking up some more 2 row at that price

All the best

S_M

for all you folks around Albany I wanted to say if you need co2 over on railroad ave off of fuller road going towards BJ wholesale

on the left is PraxAir, I had a 20 pound steel tank that was out of date and needed to be tested

stopped at one place and was told because it was an old beverage tank with a plastic piece on the bottom that it could not be tested so it had to be replaced

another said for 25 dollars for the test and 25 dollars for the co2 they would exchange it but did not fill and had no tanks to exchange so it would be a day or two

last Friday stopped at PraxAir with my tank, I thought they opened at 7 but it was 7:30 I got there a little after 7

I was ready to leave when a person walk out asked me what I needed so I said a 20 pound co2 tank

took my tank and exchanged it for a tank with a fresh test date (7/13) and charged me a 20 dollar bill

easy to deal with

S_M

That's a sweet deal. I'll keep that in mind when I'm in Albany.

Another place in Albany is Carbonic Sales at 1139 Central Ave. They charge $10 to fill a 5 pounder (I'm phasing those out for 20 lb tanks-much more economical). Best of all they carry any parts you may need for draft beer systems or soda making. They carry ball lock cornelius kegs for $50. Nice to be able to look them over before buying and $20 cheaper than Homebrew Emporium.

Albany is Carbonic Sales at 1139 Central Ave.

he is the one that told me I had to discard mine because it could not be tested

but they do have parts, I needed a couple fish eye washers and they have then on hand for a dime a piece

I also picked up 8 pin locks from them for 20 dollars for the 8, all were holding pressure they just needed a good cleaning as the had soda (no Root Beer) in them

very nice people to deal with I do not believe they fill tanks they have them filled and they do not exchange or lease

all the best

S_M

he is the one that told me I had to discard mine because it could not be tested

I also picked up 8 pin locks from them for 20 dollars for the 8, all were holding pressure they just needed a good cleaning as the had soda (no Root Beer) in them

very nice people to deal with I do not believe they fill tanks they have them filled and they do not exchange or lease
S_M

I've been told by a couple places they wouldn't even fill 20 lb tanks with plastic bottom let alone hydro test.

Sweet deal on the tanks. Didn't know they had pin locks. Enough to make me switch from ball locks if I were to buy more. Fortunately I know someone who works for Pepsi who can get me discards that work just fine.

They are nice folks! They do fill tanks.

They do fill tanks.

good to know , they are very nice folks and they know their business

I have heard that from other also about the plastic bottom tanks, had someone give it to me 3/4 full of gas

so I had to take it :), I talked to a welding place down by where I work he would have exchanged it for 25 bucks plus the gas but he did not have any

so went there

all the best

S_M

Wow, that's cool that they took the tank with the plastic bottom! I've got an out of date one of those, too, and never had any luck finding anyone who would take it or exchange it. They said that in order to have it inspected I'd need to grind the plastic off as they need to see every surface in order to pass inspection. Plus it's right around the corner from where I work... I'll have to give that a try.

Wow, that's cool that they took the tank with the plastic bottom! I've got an out of date one of those, too, and never had any luck finding anyone who would take it or exchange it. They said that in order to have it inspected I'd need to grind the plastic off as they need to see every surface in order to pass inspection. Plus it's right around the corner from where I work... I'll have to give that a try.

the guy did not even look, took it put in on the floor with the other

asked me if I wanted a nice looking tank, said it did not matter to me one way or the other

20 dollars later a steel tank with a current test date, the have a shop with all kinds of other stuff

but I didn't look as it was not open

good luck

S_M

Back