Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pips

Reaction score
So i think my latest brew maybe infected. It's a chocolate stout extract kit we picked up at our local homebrew store.

Malts & Specialty Grains
- 3 lbs. Amber DME
- 3 lbs. Dark DME
- 8 oz. Crystal 120L
- 4 oz. Crystal 80L
- 4 oz. Black Malt
- 8 oz. Chocolate Malt

Hops
- 2 oz. Fuggle (Bittering/Flavor)

Yeast
White Labs British Ale Yeast (WLP005)

Other
- 4 oz. Cocoa Powder/Nibs (Optional)

After 2 weeks in the primary we transferred to a secondary with 6 oz of raw organic sun dried coca nibs that we picked up at wholefoods. We added it without sanitizing first. Also the cocoa nibs never sank to the bottom. Pictures are after 4 days.

photo1.JPG

photo.JPG

The bubbles look filmy but that could be from the cocoa. What I'm wondering is, what is the red stuff? Did you add some sort of fruit?

cocoa nibs are probably 1 of the most dangerous additions to make without any sanitizing. that doesn't look good to me

the red stuff is the cocoa nibs. they never sank to the bottom. i did a quick search online about adding cocoa nibs and it was almost 50/50 regarding sanitizing. I guess i probably should have sanitize first. I'm going to taste it next week if it doesn't look any worse.

also.. SG was 1.020 when we transferred to the secondary and air lock started bubbling again but has stopped now.

Wow that looks straight up nasty! Maybe pull a sample from under all that crap and taste it.

It more than likely just oils/fats from the cocao nibs have formed an oil slick on the surface of the beer, and then trapping rising bubbles of co2 under the film. I've even seen it with dry hopping.

Folks, just because it looks weird doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong.

People have pulled the panic button on chocolate before for similar looking reasons..

Latest posts

Back