New to this forum: BIG soda set up question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus357

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I am a food cart owner and I have some questions about mobile setups. I have a brand new food cart (haven’t used it yet and I want to make my own brand of soda. I want to give both Coke and Pepsi the boot. I know I have to sell it from the time being until I can get my own flavors to introduce. I was also approved to make my own soda and sell it by my local health department.

Set up: Here is what I think I know
Things needed: Co2, Water, electricity, carbonator, syrup, syrup pump (co2 powered and (some sort of dispenser)

Because I don’t have any electricity, I want to bypass the carbonator (requiring electricity).

The equipment I have so far.
5 gallon corny kegs, Cornelius 7 pass cold plate ice bin, 5lb Co2 tank. I want to make a post drink system.

Draw back. I have no way to keep the 5 gallon kegs cold when out on the street. Here is why I say this.

Normally, water will come out of the tap at around 40~50 degrees…go through a filter, go into a carbonating machine (maybe through a cold plate system) and into a dispensing unit.

Problem #1 Even if I keg the carbonated water and get it to the desired carbonation level, I have no way of keeping this water at around 40~50 degrees.

Question 1: If I carbonate my water, will it keep the carbonation at 38 degrees as it would at 90 or 100 degrees if it is kept under pressure? I ask this because a soda can will keep its carbonation in its can even if it is hot.
I figured if I could carbonate my water, it would get rid of the need for a carbonating machine

My cold plate (15”x 22”) probably has around 15 ft of product tub inside the aluminum block. I can’t see a way to bring down product temperature down from a hot ambient temp to the proper serving temp that fast, from a keg that is only going through 15 ft of product line. The only thing I can think of is to build a jockybox with the product running through 50 ft of stainless steel coil like beer dispensing.

Any Ideas?
Sorry for such a long first post.
Thank You in advance for reading through it.

How about building a peptide cooler box? It would be able to run off battery, I'd bet you could get a good 10 hours or more off a golf cart battery. I don't have the links handy now but if you search the forums here for peltier cooler chamber you can find some builds. Should be able to keep it 30-40 below ambient, plus with your cold plate should equal cold tasty soda!

Okay just saw this, stupid autocorrect. PELTIER cooler. Sorry about that.

Use the corny kegs the way they were originally used, mix your syrup and carbonated soda water back at your kitchen so that the kegs contain ready to serve pre-mixed soda. Then serve through your iced cold plate - no need to keep the kegs cold. No power or water required on site.

Back