custom BeerSmith profile for 5 Gal. BIAB w/ top-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePeaches

Reaction score
I am trying out BeerSmith to see if I like it for my purposes. None of the pre-set BIAB profiles match how I use my equipment, so I created my own equipment profile and am looking for feedback. I've attached the BeerSmith Equipment Profile file and a jpeg image.

Here is the jist of my set-up which I hope is accurately reflected in my BeerSmith Equipment Profile:
  • 5 gallon Stainless Steel Brew Kettle
  • using kitchen stovetop
  • 5 gallon paint strainer bag
  • I keep my grain bill to approximately 10 lbs.
  • after the 60 minute mash, but before the boil, I dunk sparge in a bucket as a means to top off the brew kettle to 5 gallons to compensate for grain absorption.
  • after boil and cooling I transfer the wort to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy then top off with enough water to make 5.5 gallons.
  • my hope is to net 5 gallons of beer for bottling after fermentation and trub loss.

Are my BeerSmith Equipment Profile estimates on target or way off?
Thank you for any insight you can offer.

View attachment PJ's 5 Gal. BIAB with top-off.bsmx

PJ's 5 Gal. BIAB with top-off.jpg

I attempted to do this with my converted Keg. I wanted to understand a little more then to use what they had in BS2.0. I still have question such as what is "Top up water for Kettle"? I want to understand BS2.0 but the formas are tough to navigate and I dont get the answers Im looking for.

Back