stc 1000 temp control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm1473

Reaction score
So--I finished my STC 1000 temp controller last night. I then did my first all-grain today and put it in the fridge it is controlling. I dropped the wort temp to 72ish prior to pitching, pitched the yeast and put the fermenter in the fridge. Then I insulated and taped the temp probe to the fermenter bucket and turned on the whole system--ambient was 62degrees prior to turning it on so no need to turn the system on earlier. Well--I also put a separate thermometer in the fridge itself and when I went to check how everything was working the temp in the fridge was 44degrees and the wort temp was down to 66degrees (stc1000 was set to 62 degrees).

Anyway--long story short. Should I turn off the system for a while to let the two temps equalize or should I just let it play out. I was just a little worried that they would equalize in the 50's and stall everything out. Not to mention I used US-05 and have been reading a lot about off flavors lower than 60degrees. Anyway--thanks in advance for the help.

It sounds like it's working right to me... the controller is set to 62 deg, the actual temp was 66 deg, and the fridge is running. It's doing what it's supposed to.

It sounds like it's working right to me... the controller is set to 62 deg, the actual temp was 66 deg, and the fridge is running. It's doing what it's supposed to.

Exactly. Let it run and cool the wort down to 62*F. When it gets there, it will turn off power. Let the temp controller do its job. The air temp matters not. It's the beer temp that is important.

BTW, next time pitch at or a few degrees below your target ferment temp.

Thanks for the replies. Just got a little worried when I saw the 40degrees on the ambient thermometer. Everything has evened out now and is running smoothly with a good fermentation starting. Funny part is that I was fermenting in a closet with an ambient temp of almost 70 so I hate to think what the actual beer was fermenting at!! Anyway--thanks for the replies and easing the mind of this worry wart.

Back