Help with Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linux20

Reaction score
Need some help here, I did a search and still am a little confused. I brewed Racer 5 clone and had it in primary for about 2.5 weeks, then used pellets in a mesh bag in a secondary to which I racked the beer. Has now been sitting for about 7 days and I want to cold crash then keg.

Was thinkinig to do the following:

1. Rack to another carboy leaving the hops and bag behind (bag now floating on top of beer), then cold crash

or

2. Pull out the bag somehow then cold crash, seems like this would be less sanitary somehow and would also sqeeze all the hop gunk into beer as I pulled it out.

Any thoughts/suggestions on above.

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks

I personally would cold crash with the bag still in.
No need to fish it out or rack to another carboy.
For future reference, you don't necessarily have to use a bag for dry hopping. In my experience, you can just toss your pellets in your primary after fermentation is pretty much complete. What doesn't sink to the bottom after a few days, will sink to the bottom after cold crashing.

Thanks, yeah I think I figured that out at some point when I thought the whole process through and looked at the bag floating on the top. Probably no need for bag with the pellets. Anyways, thanks again.

Back