Secondary fermentation in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adyhay

Reaction score
Hi, I have always added a spoon full of sugar to my bottles before caping to allow my beer to have a secondary fermantation. It has worked well but is a bit time consuming. I was wondering if it was possible to add the equivalent quantity of sugar to the demi jon before filling the bottles. It just seems easier to add one lot of sugar to the beer and stir it in before bottling?
Thoughts appreciated... regards Adrian

You're talking about bottle carbing and conditioning right? Because 'secondary fermentation' is actually a misnomer for "bulk clearing and aging" the beer.

Look at my bottling sticky for information about bulk priming your beer.

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

You really want to buy or make a dedicated bottling bucket, to which you transfer your beer to at the same time you add a measure of boiled water that you have diluted your priming sugar into. This allows both liquids to combine.

Revvy, thanks for reply. That makes perfect sense, I had not considered the sedement. A separate bucket sounds like the answer to make life easier. Regards Adrian

Back