Boil over on hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
This is the first time I have had an issue with this but in my recent brew day I had about 6.5 gallons of wort in my 8 gallon kettle (I also added some FermCaps before it reached boil) and when I added my 60 minute hop addition (2oz Magnum pellets) the kettle immediately boiled over pretty fiercely. The other hop additions went fine with no issues.

I didn't stir the wort while I added the hops, that could be an issue. Would it be better to turn the burner real low when adding the first hop addition?

Ive never had problems when using fermcap, But Ive never added more than 1oz at a time. Are you dumping in 2oz fast? Maybe next time just add little at a time and let the activity settle then add more. I dont see it hurting to turn the burner down when adding. If you turn it back up when done adding hops, it's not going to take very long at all to reach 212f again. If it takes any time at all.

Get a spray bottle the kind your wife if you have one might use to spray when ironing. Fill it w/water and when you add the hops begin spraying into the kettle. This should stop boil overs, also turning down the heat a little once the boil begins is also a good idea.

Pretty sticky, mess to clean off your burner huh?

Thanks for all the advice guys! Now that I think about it, I did add them pretty quickly. I will add them more slowly next time and that spray bottle idea will definitely be used.

Pretty sticky, mess to clean off your burner huh?

It was horrible! haha

Thanks for all the advice guys! Now that I think about it, I did add them pretty quickly. I will add them more slowly next time and that spray bottle idea will definitely be used.

It was horrible! haha

Been there done that! ONCE! Lesson learned :rockin:.

Why not add the 60 minute (bittering) hops when you start heating the wort? That's what I do. It gives more extraction, or you can use a little less hops for the same IBUs.

*Wait until you have a full rolling boil before adding your hops
*Get a bigger kettle
*Become better at recipe design to limit intense protein/polyphenol interactions

I have no worry of boilovers. I don't mist my wort, nor do I add my bittering hops slowly, or use ferm cap. If you do experience excess foam that looks like it will boilover, turn off the heat immediately. The reduction of heat will cause the foam to subside. Of course you have to turn it back on, but this is the best way to prevent a mess if you sense a mess.

Back