So I MAY have gone too far...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
I took a reading on my 2nd batch of apple wine. Fermentation is complete.
A little under .990 ... from about 1.25! It's not due to re-rack till Sunday, but I decided to taste the little bit in my thief. HOLY ALCOHOLY BATMAN! No sweets in this jug. I cut it with a splash of MountainDew, that made for quite an interesting flavor. Might have to try the mountain dew wine recipe...lol.
I'm a little scared of my apple/cherry blend now, I added 3 lbs sugar. The PA read 18%. Now I realize more alcohol doesn't mean better. Learning curve.

I am glad to have my second successful fermentation though. My third batch of apple is still in primary, may let it goes a few more days.

I took a reading on my 2nd batch of apple wine. Fermentation is complete.
A little under .990 ... from about 1.25! It's not due to re-rack till Sunday, but I decided to taste the little bit in my thief. HOLY ALCOHOLY BATMAN! No sweets in this jug. I cut it with a splash of MountainDew, that made for quite an interesting flavor. Might have to try the mountain dew wine recipe...lol.
I'm a little scared of my apple/cherry blend now, I added 3 lbs sugar. The PA read 18%. Now I realize more alcohol doesn't mean better. Learning curve.

I am glad to have my second successful fermentation though. My third batch of apple is still in primary, may let it goes a few more days.

It really can't be under .990- so it's probably just about there. It might taste really boozy for two years or so, but often after that much time it mellows out a little.

My favorite starting OG for most wines is 1.085 (lighter fruit wines)- 1.100 (big dry reds). I like to keep my table wines at 12.5-13% or so so that they age nicely (the alcohol content helps as a preservative) but result in a nice drinkable wine.

Thanks Yooper, I'll take that under advisement with my next rounds. My first batch turned out about 11%, which was very drinkable at its earliest convenience. I will make 2 bottles of each batch i have going now, 1 for tasting after a year and 1 for longer aging. The rest will be consumed hazardously by all my rowdy friends in June. One of my trip mates says he has another friend brewing "something" or other... so it's kind of a challenge I guess. I may sweeten what I have a little, or let consumers sweeten as they please. :)

Back