Belgian Golden with FG of 1.000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patjofo

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Golden Ale from a Brewers Best extract kit. It sat in a primary for 7 weeks. Bottled it and measured a FG of 1.000, even with temp correction. Tasted great. Is a FG of 1.000 possible?

Would be exceptionally dry. Unlikely it actually has no residual sugar, yeasts don't typically attenuate 100%. More likely not perfect measurement equipment.

I brewed a Belgian Golden Ale from a Brewers Best extract kit. It sat in a primary for 7 weeks. Bottled it and measured a FG of 1.000, even with temp correction. Tasted great. Is a FG of 1.000 possible?

Alcohol is lighter than water so if the ABV is high enough it is, technically, possible to get a reading of 1.000 and still have some residual sugar in the beer.

Aren't BSGAs supposed to finish really low anyway,
like somewhere around 1.004 to 1.006?

patjofo said:

Yup it's possible. But if it tastes great who cares?

I am about to bottle the same beer, brewers best belgian golden ale. I topped off with slightly too much water and my sg was slightly low but when i did my final readings last week i found it was 1.004 thought i was reading wrong but since i read the sample 3 times and all the same i went with it. I then dumped gelatin into my fermenter and it's been sitting for a week and looks super clear. Can't wait till it primes to taste.

I just did the Brewer's Best Belgian IPA and had similar results. SG was 1.050 and FG after 1 week in primary was 1.004. Airlock activity was strong and steady for about 5 days and the last two slowed down very much but I still saw a few bubbles. Tasted it and it does have a very dry, alcohol taste, but I did not detect any other off flavors. I know I accidentally put in too much yeast nutrient (about 2x). Otherwise, no deviations. Not a hydrometer problem. I racked to secondary, dry hopped and I'm hoping for the best.

How did your ale turn out? I'm curious to know if this will condition OK or continue to burn towards alcoholic water.

I just did the Brewer's Best Belgian IPA and had similar results. SG was 1.050 and FG after 1 week in primary was 1.004. Airlock activity was strong and steady for about 5 days and the last two slowed down very much but I still saw a few bubbles. Tasted it and it does have a very dry, alcohol taste, but I did not detect any other off flavors. I know I accidentally put in too much yeast nutrient (about 2x). Otherwise, no deviations. Not a hydrometer problem. I racked to secondary, dry hopped and I'm hoping for the best.

How did your ale turn out? I'm curious to know if this will condition OK or continue to burn towards alcoholic water.

It turned out very tasty, no hot alcohol flavors at all. I think it would have been slightly better with a tiny bit more residual sugar but overall it was on the money for flavor.

My bga from brewers best also ended at 1.000. I was worried until I tasted it. Great flavor and no overpowering alcohol flavor for being ~9.3%.

Back