What did you score for free today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcquesten

Reaction score
I felt the need to share what I got for free today. I'm sure I'm not the only one that gets excited about getting free beer stuff, so feel free to share your good deals. This would have been completely free, but I felt it was a nice gesture to share some homebrew with a retired homebrewer for the hook up.

This is 5 cases of big 1 liter grolsch type flip top bottles. That's 60 liters of added bottling capacity. I originally thought they were the smaller half liter bottles until i picked them up. He also threw in a nice flip-top growler.

Oh, and a few weeks ago, a neighbor dropped off a 6.5 gallon carboy that he had no use for.

I love free stuff.

20130428_170418.jpg

20130428_173511.jpg

20130428_173521.jpg

Free is always a good thing. You done good on the bottles.

Today I scored these swell 15 gallon poly drums, one of which I intend to use as a fermentor for 10 gallon batches.

2013-04-28 16.49.14 (Small).jpg

2013-04-28 16.49.43 (Small).jpg

Free is always a good thing. You done good on the bottles.

Today I scored these swell 15 gallon poly drums, one of which I intend to use as a fermentor for 10 gallon batches.

Cool. What did those containers originally store? I assume some kind of food product if it's safe to use as a fermenter.

Cool. What did those containers originally store? I assume some kind of food product if it's safe to use as a fermenter.

They contained 34% hydrogen peroxide solution for treating potable water.

The manufacturers MSDS didn't raise any red flags.

120 feet of 10 AWG THHN, 10 feet of 10-3 SOOW, some mechanical relays, a big double-pole fused throw switch box, some smaller switches, a few j-boxes, and 50 feet of 1/2" aluminum tubing. Okay, the tubing cost me $15, but that's pretty close.
That's what I scored for free today.

I seem to have good-great luck with getting free stuff. My fermentation chamber was free. Big chest freezer was free. Stainless fridge was free. Loads of bottles ranging from 12oz to Grolsch and bombers to growlers.

Non brew related I've gotten more TVs and computers and yard accessories and equipment and on and on than I can ever remember. People just like to give me free stuff.

I scored a "like new" wort chiller for $10, that's pretty much free right? :mug:

Well,kinda free. Had to reinstate my road hazzard to get my tuner towed to a perf repair shop. But I'm up by the lake & it has to go all the way south of Elyria. Good thing I don't have to pay up front for the tow. So it cost me maybe 14 bucks...

I got three old 5 gallon glass carboys that came with neat wooden carriers. Turns out in was in a co-workers grandma's barn that they were cleaning out and wanted gone. Going to clean them up and give one to my neighbor who has a son the brews as well.

Back