Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'm not real sure if my batch went south, so I'm coming here for opinions. I started two batches on 3/19/13 with three cups of glutenous rice and two yeast balls each. By 4/4/13 I had white mold but no liquid, and at this point thinking back I fear I may have killed my yeast with the temp of the rice after cooking (not waiting long enough to cool). No biggie, so I combined both batches and mushed in three crushed yeast balls in an attempt to salvage the rice. By 4/7/13 I'm starting to see liquid, and by 4/11/13 I notice some of the rice turning yellow. Then the liquid begins to follow suit. I let it go until today and decide it is time for harvest, but it seems to smell a little strange. I'm not sure if this is the acetone stench that I have read about. Thoughts?

Edit: sorry for the sideways picture

if it were acetone I'd like to think you'd know. Mine smell approximately like sake and usually look like watery seminal fluid. Didn't see any yellow til it started to cold crash after putting it in the fridge. The only thing I can think of it it weren't contaminated is the age of the batch perhaps but that seems like a real stretch.

If you're not going to drink it, you might try doing the ABV test mentioned earlier in the thread to find out what the alcohol level was if it had any. If you do it outside (aka safe area) you might be able to ignite the alcohol cooking off to verify that it actually had some. :)

Thank you Son of Grok and accidic for your replies. I'm tossing this batch due to the yellow color and smell. No need for a test other than the the sour look on swmbo's face. On to my next batch!

Just bottles 6 cups of jasmine rice with red yeast rice added. It also happens to be my last day of law school classes (and all classes ever)! So on that note...cheers!

That looks awesome! Very similar to mine...way to go! How does it taste?

ForumRunner_20130425_201129.jpg

I actually ordered yeast balls from both sites so I can compare them since they appear to be different. It was $5 flat rate shipping from importfood. I picked up 3x 4oz dried yeast balls from importfood for $18.50 shipped and 2x RYR & 2x 227g shanghai rice cakes from asiansupermarket for $31.15.

How much dry rice did you use for 4 balls & 1/2 cup RYR?

You got 2 bags of ryr and 2 bags of balls for $31.15?

jak1010 said:
That looks awesome! Very similar to mine...way to go! How does it taste?

Amazing! Smooth, kinda sweet with a touch of twang on the back end. Started the next batch right after bottling.

Can't wait to bottle my dragon fruit green tea batch on Wednesday!

Just bottles 6 cups of jasmine rice with red yeast rice added. It also happens to be my last day of law school classes (and all classes ever)! So on that note...cheers!

Congratulations! Which state's bar exam are you taking? Buckle down. You're almost there.

Amazing! Smooth, kinda sweet with a touch of twang on the back end. Started the next batch right after bottling.

Can't wait to bottle my dragon fruit green tea batch on Wednesday!

So glad to hear it. I can relate...bottled and then started same day. Good stuff in 3 weeks is hard to come by in the homemade world.

scurry64 said:
Congratulations! Which state's bar exam are you taking? Buckle down. You're almost there.

Thanks! Taking NJ and NY. Not looking forward to it but its one step closer

Just picked up a 25# sack of sweet rice for $20, and hope to start a couple more batches tomorrow. I found the cooking directions interesting. They say that the time you should soak it is dependent on how old the rice is, and supply this chart.

ForumRunner_20130425_221406.jpg

That's a new one.

I've heard that the soaking time is longer in winter and shorter in summer...but that probably has to do with differences in room temperature n not so climate controlled regions, as opposed to rice age.

I decided to conduct a little experiment.

ricewine.jpg

Cooked 3 cups (dry measurement) Thai Jasmine in my rice cooker and allowed it to ferment in the jar for 2 weeks. Strained/squeezed into a bottle loosely capped with some cheese cloth. Measured the gravity at 2 week mark is 1.052 and you can clearly see active fermentation (constant bubbling, almost looks carbonated). Going to let it continue for another week and pasteurize and measure the gravity then. No idea what the ABV is at this point, but it is pretty stout from the samples I tried, I'd guess somewhere around 10-15%?

That said, I do have a question about the Zojirushi you picked up although I realize you probably can't answer it til you get it. I picked up the Panasonic MS183 when it was on sale for like $70 and while it says it does sticky rice, it doesn't actually steam the rice until after it's done converting all the water (that it sits in while cooking) to steam. Is that how the Zoji does it too? I was rather curious if there is one out there that steams the rice in the literal sense and was thinking about buying a smaller Zoji specifically for rice eating.

I already have the Zo in hand. I've used it for some GABA brown rice. I haven't the slightest idea how it cooks the rice (fuzzy logic/micom or something like that). I do know that the rice it produced kicked the crap out of the brown rice in a bag that you boil for 10 minutes & drain that I was using before.

You got 2 bags of ryr and 2 bags of balls for $31.15?

Yes.

31 bucks? I pay 5 bucks for a 1lb ryr and like 2 bucks for a small bag of yeast balls. If you're not near a chinese market, Try here:
http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=yeast&Search.x=46&Search.y=5
Keep in mind that's a Big ol bag of balls. Hope that saves somebody a couple bucks.

I've got a market not far from me so I don't have to buy online. Because they're so available to me, I've got them up on eBay and I'm looking for something to gauge it by and be fair. If you go to eBay and search "Dried Yeast Balls" you'll see 3 listings. Any feedback from anybody on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a market not far from me so I don't have to buy online. Because they're so available to me, I've got them up on eBay and I'm looking for something to gauge it by and be fair. If you go to eBay and search "Dried Yeast Balls" you'll see 3 listings. Any feedback from anybody on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

I pay like $4.50 for 40 10g balls.

8cups dry Thai Jasmine yielded about 3/4 of a gallon. Never opened bucket or stirred or touched till harvest today. Has a nice twang and slight sweetness. Best batch so far. Now to flavor with grapefruit and a couple day Citra dry hop. I will report on results.

ForumRunner_20130426_182735.jpg

I already have the Zo in hand. I've used it for some GABA brown rice. I haven't the slightest idea how it cooks the rice (fuzzy logic/micom or something like that). I do know that the rice it produced kicked the crap out of the brown rice in a bag that you boil for 10 minutes & drain that I was using before....
I would argue that is because the brown rice in a bag is horrible...

TheDemonSlick said:
31 bucks? I pay 5 bucks for a 1lb ryr and like 2 bucks for a small bag of yeast balls. If you're not near a chinese market, Try here:

I'm near 3 Chinese markets. None had balls or RYR. $31 was at the 365 site. $10 was the cheapest shipping.

Leadgolem said:
I would argue that is because the brown rice in a bag is horrible...

Definitely. Tonight i cooked black rice in chicken stock w/ seasoning and hot sauce. So good. Still waiting on my shipments of yeast to arrive so I can get started.

After five days there is liquid to the top of the rice and even with sixteen cups of rice it is floating. Glad I found a use for this otherwise useless Mr beer kit.

ForumRunner_20130427_053739.jpg

I've got my first batch of rice cooking for a big batch now. I'm going to harvest the other batches and decide if I want to make regular or red rice wine.

All the batches are harvested now. I'll be making RYR+Rice Yeast Ball wine. Wow was that sample good.

ryr1-5-.JPG

Leadgolem said:
All the batches are harvested now. I'll be making RYR+Rice Yeast Ball wine. Wow was that sample good.

So you ended up getting the best yield using RYR and yeast balls in jasmine rice?

8cups dry Thai Jasmine yielded about 3/4 of a gallon. Never opened bucket or stirred or touched till harvest today. Has a nice twang and slight sweetness. Best batch so far. Now to flavor with grapefruit and a couple day Citra dry hop. I will report on results.

View attachment 118206

What did you ferment in? I'm thinking about grabbing a couple of mason jars then combining into a 1 gal jug when I harvest.

Yeast balls !!well making some today the UPS showed up and I'm cooling rice as I read Thanks for the tips GG:mug:

Traditional rice wine isn't really "wine" at all but this area is as close as I can figure to post this.

There are only a few threads on HBT talking about making rice wine but nothing that I am aware of that could be considered an easy walkthrough which is a shame because making rice wine is very different, fun to do, and rewarding. Its also pretty darn cheap...

It has been a few years since I have done it, but after a recent trip to the exotic foods grocer, I got a hankerin to do it again and thought a few people on here might enjoy it as well.

*Edit*: Process starts on next post but final product is on page 4 here
*Edit 2*: Arapolis has done a less Rice Wine, more Japanese sake here.

Yes, for 2 bags of RYR and Yeast Balls it's about $31-33 bucks @ Asian365. For 3 of each it's about 41, 50 for 4 of each, etc. The shipping is what gets you as it was 33% of the total expense for me. That said, the only regret I have is that I didn't buy 3 of each and I didn't find the $1 or $2 off coupons for the smaller quantity.

What did you ferment in? I'm thinking about grabbing a couple of mason jars then combining into a 1 gal jug when I harvest.

I have one of the 1.5-2g bucket fermenters but oddly I do not use it for this. I kind of like keeping tabs on the progress so I went and picked up a $10 cookie jar (2 gallon) like many of the rest of the posters to this thread from Walmart. I do wrap it with cheesecloth damp with starsan but to be honest as it has a glass lid, I'm not really convinced it truly needs this although I suppose a little extra insurance never hurts. For straining I went to the cloth store and picked up a 1y x 1y fine Nylon mesh and it works ok for the quantity shown above. I think next time I do more than a gallon though I'm going to get a paint strainer bag (I may still line it with the nylon mesh mentioned above for that added filter) just to make it a bit easier to hang. This past time I wrapped it with a rubber band and hung it from the stove hood to drip.

Either way, this is one of the easiest things I've ever fermented and the hardest to screw up so I don't think you can do wrong regardless of what you do. One of the guys I work with gave it a shot and made it in a bucket with no lid and the results were pretty good as well. I really think SonOfGrok (or any of his predecessors who inspired him) outdid himself and it should be fairly comparable to Apfelwein (his pictorial and step by step really makes it).

Yes, for 2 bags of RYR and Yeast Balls it's about $31-33 bucks @ Asian365. For 3 of each it's about 41, 50 for 4 of each, etc. The shipping is what gets you as it was 33% of the total expense for me. That said, the only regret I have is that I didn't buy 3 of each and I didn't find the $1 or $2 off coupons for the smaller quantity.

OK good to know. Can you compare that to what I have up on eBay and let me know? I want to make sure I'm giving people a fair deal.

If you're just looking for a small pack to try things out I would think the ebay listing is a pretty good deal. Especially if you offer any kind of joint shipping charges. The problem over @Asian365 is if you order a single bag of RYR ($3) you'd end up paying $10 to ship it. Your combo listing would still be cheaper than this.

On a lighter note... Would selling your balls on ebay be considered prostitution?

Day 2 Checked on my rice wine and I see liquid starting to show up the help was the best thanks for the recipe GG

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

Finished my first attempt at rice wine. Instead of using Koji i used amylase Enzyme from my LHBS. i cooked 2 pounds of rice and added a teaspoon of enzyme. I added 2nd generation wet US-05 yeast. It fermented for 3 weeks.
It tastes pretty good but is very chalky/grainy. I cold crashed it and it started to clear in the bottle. the clear part is excellent.
Anyone have success trying to clarify there rice wine? Anyone try Gelatin?

CAM00149.jpg

Finished my first attempt at rice wine. Instead of using Koji i used amylase Enzyme from my LHBS. i cooked 2 pounds of rice and added a teaspoon of enzyme. I added 2nd generation wet US-05 yeast. It fermented for 3 weeks.
It tastes pretty good but is very chalky/grainy. I cold crashed it and it started to clear in the bottle. the clear part is excellent.
Anyone have success trying to clarify there rice wine? Anyone try Gelatin?

Few days cold crash works great for me

using the amylase enzyme was a great idea. It lets you skip having to find yeast balls. I will have to keep this in mind next time I'm at the brew store. The only Asian market that sells them here sells em for eighty cents for 2. which is a rip off since I know a whole bag is only 4 dollars. I have my own yeast farm so the enzyme would allow me to have no extra out of pocket expense besides the rice which I can buy a huge bag of for cheap. great idea!

If someone uses just the Alpha Amylase enzyme please post pics as it breaks down. I'd be curious if it works as well as the Oryzae most of us have been using. If memory serves from the paper I read on the Oryzae, it's got more enzymes than just the Amylase that go to work on the rice... It's just the Amylase that breaks down the bulk of the sugars we're hoping for.

If you're just looking for a small pack to try things out I would think the ebay listing is a pretty good deal. Especially if you offer any kind of joint shipping charges. The problem over @Asian365 is if you order a single bag of RYR ($3) you'd end up paying $10 to ship it. Your combo listing would still be cheaper than this.

On a lighter note... Would selling your balls on ebay be considered prostitution?

Much appreciated. I had that in mind for people who just wanted to make it and see if it's for them before buying a bag online and paying $15 or more for a bag of balls. I always throw in extra free stuff like more balls or a Ziploc bag of RYR or a pack of rice leaven or a mesh bag just so people feel good about it.

I read the eBay "terms of use" and there's nothing that says I'm not allowed to sell my balls. I think it'd be different if I auctioned them to the highest bidder though... :)

Back