how to adjust pre boil gravity high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
So my pre boil gravity was 1.053 was suppose to be 1.049. How much longer should I boil? Not sure if there is a formula for it, first time going over, I've been under always. Thanks

If your preboil gravity is higher than you want, and you know you're gonna nail your boiloff rate, you want to add water, not remove it by boiling longer. If you're off by 4 points out of 53 = 7.6%, you want to add that much water. For example if you're starting with 7 gallons preboil, add about half a gallon.

Yeah I decided to not mess with adding water. I'm in the boil now. I'm just happy I exceed

Yeah I decided to not mess with adding water. I'm in the boil now. I'm just happy I exceed my expected efficiency I had been way under previous 2 AG batches. I'll attribute that to getting a mill this week and taking my time today so far. Much smoother so far.

Not to sound snarky, but did you adjust your sample for temperature when you took your pre-boil gravity?

Yes I did. I made that error on my first AG batch and over compensated. I won't be making that mistake again! Thanks though

Back