First time brew and Hello!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishHockey

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Dave and I'm new to this addiction.

I bought a kit from Austin Homebrew and a recipe kit as well. I bought their budget IPA. It's a mini mash kit. Included in the recipe is
8oz crystal 60L malt
8ozs crystal 40L malt
3 1/2lbs 2 row malt
5lbs extra pale LME
1oz falconers flight (5 minutes)
1oz cluster (15 minutes)
1oz magnum (60 minutes)

I am using California ale yeast 001

Now my question is I have 5 extra ozs of Falconers Flight I'd like to add for more hop punch. I love a imperial IPA that's brewed with all falconers flight. Any help with adding these hops would be awesome! I was thinking some at flame out and some dry hop. How should I stagger them?
Cheers!

IrishHockey said:
Hello everyone! My name is Dave and I'm new to this addiction.

I bought a kit from Austin Homebrew and a recipe kit as well. I bought their budget IPA. It's a mini mash kit. Included in the recipe is
8oz crystal 60L malt
8ozs crystal 40L malt
3 1/2lbs 2 row malt
5lbs extra pale LME
1oz falconers flight (5 minutes)
1oz cluster (15 minutes)
1oz magnum (60 minutes)

I am using California ale yeast 001

Now my question is I have 5 extra ozs of Falconers Flight I'd like to add for more hop punch. I love a imperial IPA that's brewed with all falconers flight. Any help with adding these hops would be awesome! I was thinking some at flame out and some dry hop. How should I stagger them?
Cheers!

Do an all falcon! Screw it you have enough hops for it. 2 oz 60 min
1 oz 10
1 oz 5
1 oz 00
Dry hop 1 oz secondary.

I'm contemplating the all Falconers. Either that or how about this:
1oz magnum (60)
1oz falconers (60)
1oz falconers (15)
1oz falconers (10)
1oz falconers (5)
1oz falconers (0)
1oz falconers in the secondary dry hop

Should I add the 1oz Cluster, or is that to much and the flavors would compete. I love the smell and flavor from the Falconers.

IrishHockey said:
I'm contemplating the all Falconers. Either that or how about this:
1oz magnum (60)
1oz falconers (60)
1oz falconers (15)
1oz falconers (10)
1oz falconers (5)
1oz falconers (0)
1oz falconers in the secondary dry hop

Should I add the 1oz Cluster, or is that to much and the flavors would compete. I love the smell and flavor from the Falconers.

You could but but toss the cluster in the freezer for another beer. Skip the 15 min. And add two onces to dryhop.

Well, tomorrow is going to be my 1st brew day, so I'll probably throw the Cluster hops in the freezer and use the magnum and all the FF. Wish me luck! I'm really excited about this new addiction!

IrishHockey said:
Well, tomorrow is going to be my 1st brew day, so I'll probably throw the Cluster hops in the freezer and use the magnum and all the FF. Wish me luck! I'm really excited about this new addiction!

Good luck dude! I remember my first.(sigh)
remember to have fun. Lay everything out. Drink a beer play some music and go. Remember to skip the 15 min addition. And stick to 60 10, 5, and 00. Defiantly use 2oz for dry hopping when the time comes. Oh. And take pics! throughout out your process.

I was planning on taking pics and detailed notes of temps and additions. Oh yeah, I've read some people doing extract add half during the boil (no flame on a cool burner) and the other half at flame out. Is this solid advice?

Remember to have take notes and enjoy your first brew day. Just be sure to give that beer enough time in the fermenter and bottle.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum

IrishHockey said:
I was planning on taking pics and detailed notes of temps and additions. Oh yeah, I've read some people doing extract add half during the boil (no flame on a cool burner) and the other half at flame out. Is this solid advice?

Yes add half at boil them half either the last 5 min or flameout. Make sure you pour extract when it's off the burner otherwise you could scorch it. Stir well when adding. Need to keep it off the bottom. Good luck.

Just got started on this today and I thought I'd give an update. I am 53 minutes into the boil and it smells wonderful! I love Falconers Flight!!!

I also brewed this for my 1st! Long story short (my last response got erased), Used the 1%ABV boost. Followed instructions (didn't learn about adding LME at flame out till after unfortunately) except for dry hopping with 1oz whole cone centennial. One thing that confused me is it called to top off at 6.25 Gal after boil? OG was 1.060, FG was 1.010. Kept in primary 3weeks then dry hopped 4th week then bottled. Just now tasting my first after 1 week in bottle (gonna try 1 end of each week to see how taste develops) and NOT impressed?!? Has an over bubbly type taste, hardly any bitterness or floral/citrus notes to it. I would NOT serve this to any friends at this point. I hear the taste changes ALOT b/w weeks 3 & 4 so I am praying for this, otherwise my 1st batch attempt will be a let down!!

It takes 3-4 weeks for an average gravity beer to carb & condition into it's final flavors & carbonation level. What you tasted was still a bit green.

Discovered I screwed up and topped off with more water than recipe called for...oh well. Still 6.3% ABV and tastes better than the typical big brewery beers....

Back