Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the color being the problem. Americans pound down gallons of coke and Pepsi but hand them a stout or a porter and its like your asking them to drink battery acid. Weird.

Yeah, that and coffee! Girlfriend loves coffee but hates stout? smh

She is awaiting the ipa that is in the wings. Currently she is tired of the Vienna lager and maibock in the fridge.

SWMBO getting antsy for homebrew? That's awesome. I can always tell how good a certain brew is by the amount of time it takes for my girlfriend to get tired of it.

Krovitz said:
SWMBO getting antsy for homebrew? That's awesome. I can always tell how good a certain brew is by the amount of time it takes for my girlfriend to get tired of it.

My SWMBO gets antsy for my homebrew, too. Tis a great thing. Instead of "Are you REALLY gonna brew again this weekend?" I get "I thought you were going to brew that *whatever style* for me soon" or "I just finished off your *whatever style* when's the next one ready?"

If only she had any interest whatsoever in actually brewing with me...

It's because Americans (by and large) are trained by the BMC brewers to associate "American" and "Beer" with "Carbonated Urine" and thus leads to a great deal of main-stream consumers to not trust anything that doesn't fit with the preconception of what "beer should be"

We don't have that problem so much here in Canada. If it's carbonated, based on malt and contains alcohol, it's beer; we drink it. Though I do have to admit, BMC style beers are becoming more popular up here and it makes me sad.

Also, overheard up here "Alexander Keith's is real IPA, not that Mad Tom stuff, that must be off because it's so bitter."

Mad Tom being a craft-brewed true west coast style IPA.

My SWMBO gets antsy for my homebrew, too. Tis a great thing. Instead of "Are you REALLY gonna brew again this weekend?" I get "I thought you were going to brew that *whatever style* for me soon" or "I just finished off your *whatever style* when's the next one ready?"

If only she had any interest whatsoever in actually brewing with me...

Mine started brewin with me the other day, it was pretty awesome.

Walking_Target said:
Also, overheard up here "Alexander Keith's is real IPA, not that Mad Tom stuff, that must be off because it's so bitter."

Mad Tom being a craft-brewed true west coast style IPA.

Haha that reminds me of something I said when I was first getting into craft brews. My roomates and I had tried SNPA so we thought we liked hops. We decided we wanted to try something hoppier so we picked up a 6 pack of Avery IPA. We definitely weren't ready for the bitterness. My bashfully admitted comment, "ugh...this tastes like soap! I wonder if they screwed up when the were washing bottles and didn't rinse them out good". Haha now I consider it fairly tame as far as IPAs go.

When I first started brewing, I went together with a friend to buy all the equipment. We brewed my first 6 batches together, then split the bottles.

As we were discussing what kind of beers we wanted to make first, he said:

"Anything but an IPA. Imagine you are playing basketball, shirts against skins. You've been playing for a while and everyone is dripping sweat. You go up for a rebound, the same time as a skin and you get mouth full of his sweaty armpit. THAT is what an IPA tastes like!"

My 4year old was telling his teacher the process for brewing. He told her all about weighing the grains and cranking the mill ( gives him something to do, I use the drill) putting it all in a big pot with water. Then you drain it into another pot, add rat food (hops). After you're done you put yeats in it. In a couple of weeks, you have Ice Tea.

She called me on it, she said "sounds more like you're making beer with the boy, not 'Ice Tea'."

Had to laugh, he came up with what was being made all on his own.

xtian116 said:
My 4year old was telling his teacher the process for brewing. He told her all about weighing the grains and cranking the mill ( gives him something to do, I use the drill) putting it all in a big pot with water. Then you drain it into another pot, add rat food (hops). After you're done you put yeats in it. In a couple of weeks, you have Ice Tea.

She called me on it, she said "sounds more like you're making beer with the boy, not 'Ice Tea'."

Had to laugh, he came up with what was being made all on his own.

That's awesome

My mother on learning that I homebrew.

"Your Grandfather used to make his own wine. He would collect grapes and berries, make the juice out of them then after a couple weeks decide it was done and add some vodka to it before corking. I think there are still a few bottles of it around here."

Homemade fortified wine or was he bottling mixed drinks?

Sounds like my FIL's family secret BBQ sauce. "First start with a bottle of Kraft sauce, then add . . . " :rolleyes: :off:

When I first started brewing, I went together with a friend to buy all the equipment. We brewed my first 6 batches together, then split the bottles.

"Anything but an IPA. Imagine you are playing basketball, shirts against skins. You've been playing for a while and everyone is dripping sweat. You go up for a rebound, the same time as a skin and you get mouth full of his sweaty armpit. THAT is what an IPA tastes like!"

I've had my nose forced into a fellow wrestler's sweaty armpit before. Never smelled or tasted an IPA that bad...:drunk:

Conversely... if sweaty armpits smelled like IPA's I'd probably play more basketball! :D

I can honestly say (thankfully) I've never had anything close to that ever happen to me in my life.

I can honestly say (thankfully) I've never had anything close to that ever happen to me in my life.

I was deep sea fishing at, I dont know, like 11 or 12 and had just put the bait on the hook. I looked up at it and pulled the rod out of its holder with my mouth open. Definite bait water and blood landed in my mouth. Pretty gross.

CreamyGoodness said:
I was deep sea fishing at, I dont know, like 11 or 12 and had just put the bait on the hook. I looked up at it and pulled the rod out of its holder with my mouth open. Definite bait water and blood landed in my mouth. Pretty gross.

Meh, that's nothing. I grew up on the water deep sea fishing. A little but of bait juice in you're mouth isn't too bad. ;)
Just wait until you have a baby and it pukes right on your face unexpectedly.

WesleyS said:
Meh, that's nothing. I grew up on the water deep sea fishing. A little but of bait juice in you're mouth isn't too bad. ;)
Just wait until you have a baby and it pukes right on your face unexpectedly.

That's not the worst thing to come out of a kid--especially stuff is shooting out of both ends. Talk about taking a thread into toilet.

cluckk said:
That's not the worst thing to come out of a kid--especially stuff is shooting out of both ends. Talk about taking a thread into toilet.

Thankfully, I've made it 2 1/2 years without anything produced from that end of my kid making its way in my mouth.

My wife and her friend both got passed in the face by my son. He hit them both on one whizz. I swore the kid did it on purpose.

cluckk said:
My wife and her friend both got passed in the face by my son. He hit them both on one whizz. I swore the kid did it on purpose.

I've been peed on, pooped on, and puked on but luckily never in my face.

I work for a company owned by the infamous Koch Brothers. A new operator today has been trying to convince me that Jim Koch of Sam Adam's is related to the Koch Brothers. :face palm:

He's also telling me that he tried to use a mr beer but their recipes suck. Couldn't get it to taste anything like real beer. Ha!

Went to lunch with some people today at Slater's 50/50. It's a fancy hamburger place with 50+ taps, lots of good craft/import beers. Conversation when ordering went like this:

My friend, to the waiter: Can you recommend a good Belgian beer?
Waiter: Duvel is a good one.
Me (thinking): Good choice
Waiter: Or Stella Artois
Me: ::facepalm::

I mean... I guess it's technically Belgian... I guess

I swear I've met everyone of those guys.

I'm pretty sure anyone of us has said something along the lines as something any one of those guys said. I mean, if we weren't beer geeks or beer geeks in training, then we wouldn't be on the interwebs on a home brewing forum talking about the vast greatness of beer/techniques/sampling/ingredients.:mug:

orz said:
Went to lunch with some people today at Slater's 50/50. It's a fancy hamburger place with 50+ taps, lots of good craft/import beers.

You left out that it is home of the 50/50 burger, half hamburger, half crumbled bacon!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm bacon.

orz said:
Went to lunch with some people today at Slater's 50/50. It's a fancy hamburger place with 50+ taps, lots of good craft/import beers. Conversation when ordering went like this:

My friend, to the waiter: Can you recommend a good Belgian beer?
Waiter: Duvel is a good one.
Me (thinking): Good choice
Waiter: Or Stella Artois
Me: ::facepalm::

I mean... I guess it's technically Belgian... I guess

Slaters is awesome. And they just put one in ~2.5 mi from my house. I'm thinking of asking them how much rent will be if I want to move in ;-)

I was at a bar last night and the beer menu is pretty sparse but says it has Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale on tap. I ask the waitress for that and she says, "We are out of that one, but we have Dos Equis!"

Back