Any reason not to buy this chinese Oxygen regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither of those gauges are for volume - they're both pressure gauges. I would not consider that regulator to be useful as is for oxygenating wort, because you'll have absolutely no clue how much O2 you've dispensed...

Cheers!

Vol not an issue. You gas for a specific time. I'm not a bigot, but China's economy is in the toilet now, and somebody may cut corners: so what? Well, the pressure and therefore the concentration of oxygen inside the reg'r is much greater than in the atmosphere. If grease or an improper material(plastic?) is used in the reg'r guts, you can have a fire. Then, whom you gonna ***** to?
For such a critical piece of eqpm't., go American. Call a gas supplier, go online, Craigslist, local welder. Aaaaaannnnd, never lube with oil. I believe you should use graphite, but check!

If you want an idea of Chinese 'quality', see KegConnection's discussion on why they do not sell Chinese kegs. It's on HBT, so search for it.
Good luck.

day_trippr said:
deleted quote!

Yes.

Provided that it's just being used to aerate wort. As with the kit from Williams, gas for a certain amount of time. Works just fine for many of us.

deleted quote

There's no way for you to know how much of your metered O2 is actually available as dissolved in solution unless you do a real time gas analysys on the aerated wort. Ergo doing a volume measurement is both an exercise in frustration and a wasted effort, as the best you can do is a guesstimate. At that point, pressure x duration is just as effective and less expensive.

So. Yes!

Is it possible to spitball the LPM # by taking the PSI regulator, sliding a balloon into the neck of a 2L soda bottle and inflating the balloon, and timing how long it takes to fill? Would that not give a "close enough for rock n' roll" number of LPM at any given PSI, or is there an intrinsic element I've missed?
What it seems is that using a medical rate flowmeter is preferred, but that means you need a prescription oxygen tank; using a welding style PSI regulator is "shooting in the dark," but it's easier to get a welding bottle of O2 filled.

Anyone else see the irony in the fact that his picture shows the "floating ball" version of the low pressure dial on the regulator the OP listed? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back