HLT in 3 Tiered System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
All:

I brew all grain on a simple system, but I am curious about something concerning a 3-tiered system. How does one get the water into the HLT on the top tier without breaking one's back or having to carry a pot full of water up a step ladder? I assume some of you use pumps, but I know some 3-tiers have no pumps at all. Assuming there's no great answer to this question, I'm left wondering why anyone would want a system like that. Anyways, just curious!

I just hook up my water to the ball valve and fill from there with filtered tap water. I no longer have a 3 tier but I still fill that way.

I just carry it up a ladder. It's not bad with cold water, before building my 3 tier I was always carrying around hot pots of water/wort.

At my old house in winter I would mash/sparge in the basement, carry the BK up the stairs and out the door, then carry back down after boiling to chill. Somehow I never got badly burnt. So the ladder seems pretty easy.

All:

I brew all grain on a simple system, but I am curious about something concerning a 3-tiered system. How does one get the water into the HLT on the top tier without breaking one's back or having to carry a pot full of water up a step ladder?

A hose or a pump. A hose is easier.

I have a RV water filter mounted to the side of my 3 tier and just run a hose from that into the HLT.

Back