Yeast slurry question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddS

Reaction score
I am thinking of pitching onto the yeast slurry but I rack to my secondary with an auto siphon and there is usually about a 1/2 -3/4 inch of beer left in the primary. My question is what do I do with left over beer? Do I just dump it down the drain, leave it in there, or is there a more appropriate way?

Thanks for your help

Todd

depending on how much that beer will change the flavor of your new batch and how much that really matters to you personally... i'd either....

tilt the carboy so it pools into on side without disturbing the slurry too much and suck it out into the secondary, you can do this easily enough when you do your initial rack....

or if you don't really mind, just dump the new in atop the old 1/2 inch, it can't even amount to quart of beer eh? and unless you are brewing to very disticnt styles like a piilsner and a pale ale i don't think you'll notice too much....

it is important though to rack from the primary to the secondary, then rack your new wort right away... don't let it (the yeast slurry) sit too long.

I'd leave it, unless it's so much and of such a type that it will adversely affect the flavor of the next batch. When I'm doing this trick, I really try to minimize messing around with the primary in any way for sanitation reasons.

Those auto-siphons leave that much beer? That's a real drag. I siphon mine dry with a regular cane.

I like the racking port on by "Better Bottle", while it still leaves about a quarter to half an inch of beer on the bottom it really only amounts to a cup or two depending on how close I get it to the sediments on the bottom. The better bottles are shaped like this |/\| if that makes sense, they have kind of an inverted cone in the bottom.

I tried this trick this weekend on my new batch, we had a good inch or so of foam on the top about 2-3 hours after we transfered to the carboy...and I saved $5 or so on more yeast....and I didn't have to clean the primary....this is awesome.

I pitched this on top of my English Bitter slurry:

Recipe: Zprime’s Oatmeal Stout
Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
Batch: 5.000000 gal, Mashed
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 55IBU
Recipe Color: 61°SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.4%
Roasted barley 1.000000 lb, mashed
Flaked oats 2.000000 lb, mashed
American two-row 6.000000 lb, mashed
American black patent 1.000000 lb, mashed
American chocolate malt 1.000000 lb, mashed
Fuggles 2.000000 oz, whole 60 minutes
Kent Golding 2.000000 oz, whole, 30 minutes
Recipe Notes:
- Wort tastes like stong coffee with sugar
QBrew 0.3.4

With my two times doing this, I tilted the primary as t1master did. Leaves probably 1/2-3/4 cup in there this way. I'm now doing a slow tilt (avoid disturbance doing it slowly) anytime I rack be it if I'm saving the slurry or not to get as much "nectar of the gods" out that I can :)

Back