Kegging without priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxford brewer

Reaction score
I am nearly ready to keg a brew,and i will not be using any priming sugar for it as i have a good good co2 supply to carbonate.
Can i just keg,then place it straight into my garage/bar room,for 2-3 weeks at a temperature of about10c ban:(as the yeast dont need to do any more work)?
Hopefully as it will be at a colder temperature, i may get even more clarity!
Also is it ok to dry hop at a lower temperature with forced carbonation?

Cheers

From what I've read (and I've been reading a lot, because I'll be kegging soon myself) is that you should have the beer fairly cold, because the co2 will dissolve better.

Make sure whatever you do, that you calculate the CO2 addition based on the temperature you plan to store the keg in. I guess that's why most people put it in the fridge, since that's where it will be staying.

IGOR

Just kegged for the first time and force carbonated it. I had it under 30psi for 3 days and then dropped it to 10psi for serving. But, as I'm new to it I stumbled into an unexpected result - I noticed that even after adjusting my regulator to 10psi I still had TONS of foam coming out - and the beer seemed flat. I figured I'd purge a little of the CO2 - thinking that it needed to be brought down to 10 inside the keg as well as the output of the tank. The next day it was perfect.

Its weird, I've got three other homebrews bottled that are older and probably more conditioned but I always go for the keg - Novelty I guess!

oxford brewer said:
I am nearly ready to keg a brew,and i will not be using any priming sugar for it as i have a good good co2 supply to carbonate.
Can i just keg,then place it straight into my garage/bar room,for 2-3 weeks at a temperature of about10c ban:(as the yeast dont need to do any more work)?
Hopefully as it will be at a colder temperature, i may get even more clarity!
Also is it ok to dry hop at a lower temperature with forced carbonation?

Cheers

You will be fine storing the keg in the garage. Just remember to purge the keg to get rid of the O2 in the empty space at the top. I would also recommend storing a keg with it under a little pressure. This will help the lid seal. I currently have two kegs that are being stored at room temp. I have not had any problems yet.

ian said:
I had it under 30psi for 3 days and then dropped it to 10psi for serving. But, as I'm new to it I stumbled into an unexpected result - I noticed that even after adjusting my regulator to 10psi I still had TONS of foam coming out - and the beer seemed flat.

This is a common mistake. There's no reason to overpressure your beer. Set the regulator to your final serving pressure and don't play with it. Mother nature will do the rest.

As to priming with sugar, it also serves no purpose as the CO2 from your cylinder will do the work for you. Co2 is much cheaper than priming sugar.

ian said:
Just kegged for the first time and force carbonated it. I had it under 30psi for 3 days and then dropped it to 10psi for serving. But, as I'm new to it I stumbled into an unexpected result - I noticed that even after adjusting my regulator to 10psi I still had TONS of foam coming out - and the beer seemed flat. I figured I'd purge a little of the CO2 - thinking that it needed to be brought down to 10 inside the keg as well as the output of the tank. The next day it was perfect.

Its weird, I've got three other homebrews bottled that are older and probably more conditioned but I always go for the keg - Novelty I guess!

And the novelty don't wear off.:mug:

Back