4 days long enough to stabilize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
It's been 4 days since I added the sparkolloid, kmeta and sorbate to my skeeter pee. It's clear, but I just want to make sure 4 days is long enough for the kmeta and sorbate to do their jobs before racking and backsweetening.

I've heard people say they backsweeten and stabilize at the same time & other that wait a full 2 weeks. I guess I'm asking what the average required time would be for wine to stabilize enough to backsweeten, particularly skeeter pee.

It's been 4 days since I added the sparkolloid, kmeta and sorbate to my skeeter pee. It's clear, but I just want to make sure 4 days is long enough for the kmeta and sorbate to do their jobs before racking and backsweetening.

I've heard people say they backsweeten and stabilize at the same time & other that wait a full 2 weeks. I guess I'm asking what the average required time would be for wine to stabilize enough to backsweeten, particularly skeeter pee.

Four days is probably enough, as long as it's clear and you aren't getting any lees dropping at this point.

False alarm, apparently degassing it yesterday when it was clear was a bad idea. I opened the bucket today and it's cloudy again.

Will it continue to clear at the rate it did before or did stirring it mess with the clearing agent? Should I add more sparkolloid or will it be fine in a few days?

False alarm, apparently degassing it yesterday when it was clear was a bad idea. I opened the bucket today and it's cloudy again.

Will it continue to clear at the rate it did before or did stirring it mess with the clearing agent? Should I add more sparkolloid or will it be fine in a few days?

I don't know, I'm afraid. I've never degassed a non-kit wine, so I don't know if it's cloudy because it was gassy before and it's fermenting, or the sparkolloid got stirred up, or what happened.

It most likely wouldn't be fermentation because it's been stable at the expected FG for about a week & I haven't added anything other than the clearing agents and stabilizers. It's more like clear-ish globules floating around, not necessarily cloudy. Would this be the sparkolloid and what attached to it just floating around since I stupidly stirred it up?

It most likely wouldn't be fermentation because it's been stable at the expected FG for about a week & I haven't added anything other than the clearing agents and stabilizers. It's more like clear-ish globules floating around, not necessarily cloudy. Would this be the sparkolloid and what attached to it just floating around since I stupidly stirred it up?

Maybe, if you stirred it with the finings in there. Normally, you would add the finings and then rack off of them to sweeten later on.

Maybe, if you stirred it with the finings in there. Normally, you would add the finings and then rack off of them to sweeten later on.

Yeah, that's what I did :eek:

I originally racked into a new bucket, added the finings & stuff, then a few days later stirred it again cause there were bubbles lining the side of the bucket. Probably stirred up the finings as well. This was my first attempt at using a clearing agent so I didn't know what I was doing :p

Hopefully they drop out of suspension.

Latest posts

Back