Jolene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landshark

HMFIC
Reaction score
This is stemming from the Wagon Wheel discussion a few weeks ago. I just heard the Zac Brown Band version of Jolene originally by Ray LaMontagne. I must say. Completely disappointed. Excellent sad song ruined by another performer.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: This is not the Dolly Tits Parton Song. It's another song completely which shares the same name.

Written and originally performed by Dolly Parton, probably before whoever Ray LaMontagne is was born.

Watch the version by Jack White of the White Stripes! Awesome energy and wailing vocals... A great cover!

Written and originally performed by Dolly Parton, probably before whoever Ray LaMontagne is was born.

Actually no. I know Dolly's version. I'm referring to

So NO!!:mad: And BTW, Dolly's Jolene was released in October of 1973. Ray was born in June of 1973 so you are wrong again.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

That sounds like the Dolly Parton song to me :ban:

I assume you have never heard Dolly's version. It's ok though, it sucks I wouldn't recommend it. Miley Cyrus did a far better version last year.

I assume you have never heard Dolly's version. It's ok though, it sucks I wouldn't recommend it. Miley Cyrus did a far better version last year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuiTLHNL4I

I am actually quite familiar with the Dolly Parton song. Wasn't familiar with this one until I listened to it prior to that last post. I'm aware they're completely different songs. I was making a joke.

Actually no. I know Dolly's version. I'm referring to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdT9uzfTRM0

So NO!!:mad: And BTW, Dolly's Jolene was released in October of 1973. Ray was born in June of 1973 so you are wrong again.:mad:

Go figure. Apparently recorded May 22, '73, so still older. :D

Didn't bother to listen to Ray as this is the definative version of Dolly's:

Ok, I have listened to Ray's song. Sounds like Tracy Chapman to me.

If we're talking about favorite versions of that awesome song, my two favorite (outside of queen dolly's of course) are Mindy Smith's and Allison Kraus' versions.

In Mindy's version you really feel for her, and can't figure out why such an adorable young thing is pushed out by the skank. And also she does a unigue version of the chorus. I like how she bends the last Jolene. Plus Dolly actually said that Mindy's version is her favorite cover, and that's why she appeared in the video.

And they did Leno together. And I can't even fathom how Mindy is 40, and Dolly is 67 and they both are doable....(Though Dolly's facelifts are a little scary.)

And Alison Kraus, is just amazing any day, and this version has Jerry Douglas on it, and Allison is hot in the blue dress.

I'm a big fan of the song. It's in my top 50 of perfect tunes.

All great songs, but I prefer the third wave ska version by Spring Heeled Jack, [ame]http://youtu.be/gfdaC6Rc64M[/ame].

I hate to go against the vote for Alison Krauss, because I love her, but the White Stripes version is great. Although I always thought it was weird, a dude singing it and all.

[/QUOTE

This version can almost make me cry.....(if anyone listens to Stern you get that reference)

catdaddy66 said:
Absolutely LOVE Cake!! Is it the DP song or an original by the band?

It's their original live version off the album Fashion Nugget.

Back