LACTOSE and CIDER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooner

Reaction score
G'day all,

Can I use lactose to sweeten my cider
If so how much for 5 gals / 19 ltrs.
If not,what can I use and how much?

Thanks to all who help!!!

You can, I have and have enjoyed the results.

I assume you mean back sweetening after your fermentation is done since lactose will not ferment. I added priming sugar to my batch also so it would carb up.

I used a pound for 5 gallons and it was not overtly sweet but it was nice. Lactose (for lack of a better description) isn't very sweet so I wound up using more than I expected to.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

I recently added lactose to a 5 galleon batch of cider before bottling. I added to taste and ended up adding about 3lbs for the batch (I like a sweet cider!).

Anyway, I opened a bottle a few weeks after bottling and it tasted awesome - exactly as I wanted it. However two weeks later I opened 2 bottles and it was quite tart. Two more weeks and both were also quite tart.

What happened to the lactose? I thought it was non-fermentable, but the cider tastes as tart as previous batches we made without any added lactose.

I recently added lactose to a 5 galleon batch of cider before bottling. I added to taste and ended up adding about 3lbs for the batch (I like a sweet cider!).

Anyway, I opened a bottle a few weeks after bottling and it tasted awesome - exactly as I wanted it. However two weeks later I opened 2 bottles and it was quite tart. Two more weeks and both were also quite tart.

What happened to the lactose? I thought it was non-fermentable, but the cider tastes as tart as previous batches we made without any added lactose.

Did it mix properly throughout the whole batch?

Latest posts

Back