Orval-ish fermentation schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be brewing an Orval-inspired beer with WLP510 and WLP644, and want to know if the following looks right for the fermentation schedule. I am a kegger, and hardly ever bottle, so I especially need help there.

1. Ferment with the 510 until finished (somewhere around 1.010) ~2 weeks.
2. Transfer to secondary and pitch a vial of 644. This will be sitting at around 68F ambient in the basement.
3. Allow enough time for FG to stabilize (around 1.005?) ~1-2 months, I'm thinking.
4. Prime for bottling w/dextrose. I want about 4 vol. of carbonation, so should I err a little on the low side and calculate the dextrose for 3 vol?
5. I'll be using Grolsch bottles- I think they should handle 4 vol. Am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks!

You should be safe with grolsch. I think the gasket will blow out before the bottle blows up anyhow. I've had that happen on higher carbed beers in grolsch bottles.

Your plan is pretty sound. You won't get anything remotely similar to Orval with 644 though. It doesn't offer that horsey "gout de orval" flavor. Should make a fine beer though, but just wanted to make sure you realize it won't be something resembling Orval if that's your goal. When I've done a beer like this to satisfy my love of Orval I've done primary like you plan, pitch Orval bottle yeast two days before bottling. Then prime depending on my residual extract. I bottled at 1.009 primed for ~3 volumes and let the brett bring up the rest. I did a gravity test a couple months ago and it was sitting at 1.005 in the bottle.

Thanks for the feedback, smokinghole. Yes, my intention is not an Orval clone per se; just process inspired. I've been wanting to try out the Brett Trois so thought this would make a nice beer. I'll use the secondary dregs for primary in my next wild brew, which should show-case the Trois nicely!

Latest posts

Back