Sanke 1/6 Barrel Kegs, New AEB in stock and on sale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We now have a limited supply of new Sanke 1/6 Barrel kegs in stock. We have had several small breweries ask us to carry these because most companies require that you purchase a large quantity. We sell them one at a time OR in large quantities. If you are a brewery and need a lot of these (900+) contact us about special pricing that would include no additional charges for shipping.

**These, like ALL Sanke kegs do not have a safety relief valve as the home brew style kegs do. They also require special tools/knowledge to open the tops. They are rated to a working pressure of 60PSI as is standard in all beer kegs and equipment. If over pressurized they can explode, causing injury or DEATH. Always use a coupler with a pressure relief valve on these and all other Sanke kegs. We recommend homebrew kegs for homebrewers. Here is a link to the Sanke listing.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=778

Do you plan on carrying a plastic sanke like the PubKeg sometime in the future?

Do you plan on carrying a plastic sanke like the PubKeg sometime in the future?

We have looked at PubKeg and several other manufacturers of these plastic kegs. There are some issues with these kegs at this time in regards to homebrew use. They include:
  • Unit it two pieces, inner and outer. The inner part PET material and very thin. The manufacture does not recommend reusing these, they are disposable.
  • The cost of the inner unit would be in the $20 dollar range. This is a lot for a one time use product.
  • If someone was to reuse these the tops do not come off so they would have to be filled and cleaned using a Sanke tap with check valve removed.
  • I do not have sufficient information on the safety of these, in particular with home brewers using them more than once as they inevitably would.

I am continually evaluating all of the plastic kegs that have entered the market recently. There was an explosion of one of these kegs in a brewery last year (different design than the PET product) that killed a worker. This has hurt the development and sale of the plastic kegs. The main issue with them at this point is cost vs long term use of the product. The stainless steel keg is hard to beat when it comes to long term use cost. If taken care of (which homebrewers generally do) they can last a lifetime.
Todd

Thanks for the feedback. I read about the person who was killed, and unfortunately due to seemingly improper use and equipment malfunction, plastic kegs seem to have all but faded. But I had also read that someone had redesigned them with a tougher liner and a screw-off sanke coupler. Maybe it was Coopers? Of course, I couldn't find the article when I went back to read it.
I think stainless is the best option as well, but I think a lot of homebrewers would love to have a lower-priced alternative.

If u look st the bottom of the 'stainless steel' Sankey keg, you will notice a half circle etching. That is the burst safety feature. Most kegs have that, or should.

Man, 1/4 and 1/6 sankes is what I'd love to use for kegging, but the "new" price is just out of my price range right now. Do you ever get used ones in for resale?

Back