Different Pressure in Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
So I have a strange phenomenon going on right now in my new kegerator. I have a 3 tap tower setup with a 3 way gas manifold hooked into my regulator to run all 3 kegs. I have 2 kegs hooked up right now for the first time, and I noticed that one keg seems well carbonated and pours perfectly with a nice head level. The other keg comes out of the tap all foam even after pouring into 3 pint glasses. I have my regulator set to 9 PSI and my temps at 41F, which should get my to about 2.2 Volumes.

My understanding of the system and physics in general is that with the regulator set to 9 PSI, both kegs should equally pressurize the same, so I can't figure out why one keg would be producing so much more foam then the other. I took temperature readings in my keg and noticed a glass of water was 41F at the bottom, 43F sitting on top of my keg, and 45F coming out of the tap. Could a 4 degree differential be causing that much of a foaming issue? That still doesn't explain why my 2nd keg pours perfectly.

The only thought I had was that the keg that pours perfectly is hooked into the gas line on the manifold port furthest from the regulator, whereas the foamy keg is hooked into the gas line on the manifold port closest to the regulator. Could this be causing a problem? Doesn't seem like it should but I can't think of any other possibilities and it's driving me crazy since I basically can't drink from the one keg. (The foam is really that bad, literally no beer flows into a 16 oz pint glass.)

I have 5 foot lines, but according to the beer line length and pressure calculators I've seen, this should be plenty long enough for 41F at 9 PSI on my system. The calculators only say I need 39" at that temperature and pressure.

Any thoughts? I'm really at a dead end on this one.

The first obvious troubleshooting step is to reverse the beer connectors on the two kegs to see if it's something in the connector, serving line or faucet causing the foaming.

Were both kegs of beer carbonated in the same way? Could you have over carbonated the foamy beer? Try swapping the gas lines to those 2 tanks. If the problem moves to the other keg, then it's either the gas line or manifold port. If not, the problem is in the beer line side between your faucet and keg. You should be able to narrow it down from there.

So I have a strange phenomenon going on right now in my new kegerator. I have a 3 tap tower setup with a 3 way gas manifold hooked into my regulator to run all 3 kegs. I have 2 kegs hooked up right now for the first time, and I noticed that one keg seems well carbonated and pours perfectly with a nice head level. The other keg comes out of the tap all foam even after pouring into 3 pint glasses. I have my regulator set to 9 PSI and my temps at 41F, which should get my to about 2.2 Volumes.

My understanding of the system and physics in general is that with the regulator set to 9 PSI, both kegs should equally pressurize the same, so I can't figure out why one keg would be producing so much more foam then the other. I took temperature readings in my keg and noticed a glass of water was 41F at the bottom, 43F sitting on top of my keg, and 45F coming out of the tap. Could a 4 degree differential be causing that much of a foaming issue? That still doesn't explain why my 2nd keg pours perfectly.

The only thought I had was that the keg that pours perfectly is hooked into the gas line on the manifold port furthest from the regulator, whereas the foamy keg is hooked into the gas line on the manifold port closest to the regulator. Could this be causing a problem? Doesn't seem like it should but I can't think of any other possibilities and it's driving me crazy since I basically can't drink from the one keg. (The foam is really that bad, literally no beer flows into a 16 oz pint glass.)

I have 5 foot lines, but according to the beer line length and pressure calculators I've seen, this should be plenty long enough for 41F at 9 PSI on my system. The calculators only say I need 39" at that temperature and pressure.

Any thoughts? I'm really at a dead end on this one.

It has nothing to do with the gas lines. I'd try serving the keg you're having issues with through the faucet that's been pouring well. That will narrow down the problem to either the keg side of things, or the line/faucet side of things. Could be the o-ring on the liquid diptube is cracked or deformed and is letting gas into the beer line. Could be an obstruction in the line somewhere, like hop debris in the poppet, or an off center gasket where the tailpiece meets the shank. Could also be that the one keg is overcarbonated, especially if you didn't use the set and forget carb method.

And FWIW those line balancing calculators are notoriously inaccurate for homebrew situations. All they do is calculate the line length that will result in a flow rate of 1 gal/min, which is often too fast for temps over ~38°, or for higher carb levels. Since it's only one of the kegs that's having issues, your line length is likely ok, at least for your current low carbonation level.

Thought I'd check back in to let everyone who helped me on this issue know how things turned out. So as most of you suspected, it was a problem with the keg not the lines. After much more trial in error (including suggestions from this thread, so thanks!) I finally traced the problem to a bad poppet on my gas post from the faulty keg. I guess it was bleeding CO2 in and that was over carbing the keg, resulting in the excess foam. I'm not sure if that's exactly what was happening, but its my best guess.

Anyway, bought a new gas side post (it was old and somewhat bent anyway so decided to just replace the whole thing), and the problem went away. So thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Thought I'd check back in to let everyone who helped me on this issue know how things turned out. So as most of you suspected, it was a problem with the keg not the lines. After much more trial in error (including suggestions from this thread, so thanks!) I finally traced the problem to a bad poppet on my gas post from the faulty keg. I guess it was bleeding CO2 in and that was over carbing the keg, resulting in the excess foam. I'm not sure if that's exactly what was happening, but its my best guess.

Anyway, bought a new gas side post (it was old and somewhat bent anyway so decided to just replace the whole thing), and the problem went away. So thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I'm glad you got it working, but that makes no sense. CO2 can't "bleed in" at any pressure higher than the distribution pressure.

I don't disagree. I thought the same as you but struggled to come up with a better answer. Either way, like you said at least it seemed to fix my problem, so I'm happy!

I don't disagree. I thought the same as you but struggled to come up with a better answer. Either way, like you said at least it seemed to fix my problem, so I'm happy!

Any chance removing and reinstalling the liquid side poppit fixed it? I would imagine you removed both at the same time?

Back