Botched bottling. Looking for insight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcoon

Reaction score
Hi
So I started brewing kombucha recently. I made a gallon, and bottled the majority of it in 22oz bottles and corked them. I made sure each bottle was thoroughly sanitized with boiling water and when filling the bottles I made sure to add a small amount of culture as well. Two of the bottles carbonated greatly, while the third was nearly flat when I opened it.
Does anyone have any insight as to why this may happen?
Thanks
Steve

I've never heard of adding the culture to the bottle. I thought it would continue to ferment on it's own. But I'm having the same issue with my bottled booch. I've heard that leaving it for 4 days should be enough time but it had never been that way for me. I accidentally left one bottle second ferment for 6 days and it finally it bubbled. How long are you letting them sit for a second ferment. I live in PA and it's not warm here, so I think I need a long second ferment.

I haven't heard of adding culture to the 2nd fermentation container either. What will help is adding 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle (or add fruit) as extra food for the yeast to consume and make c02.
Also you shouldn't expect a carbonation similar to a c02 injection like they do for soda with large bubbles that will burn the back of your throat or anything. A natural carbonation will have very small/fine bubbles and its a lot more subtle.

+1 hombrewthatstuff

sjcoon: adding culture to your fermented batch isn't necessary, as there should be some yeasties still in suspension. the bottom portion of your ferment should have more yeast in suspension (which will produce more carbonation in the end) than the top layer of ferment. for more info on how to correct your batches, you might want to check out this site:

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/#Two Stage Bottling (the holy grail of kombucha brewing), I lea

Hi
I made sure each bottle was thoroughly sanitized with boiling water and when filling the bottles I made sure to add a small amount of culture as well. Two of the bottles carbonated greatly, while the third was nearly flat when I opened it.

The bottles were cooled to room temperature before you added the KT, right? If you poured KT directly into bottles that had just been sanitized with boiling water you might have killed the yeast.

+1 hombrewthatstuff

sjcoon: adding culture to your fermented batch isn't necessary, as there should be some yeasties still in suspension. the bottom portion of your ferment should have more yeast in suspension (which will produce more carbonation in the end) than the top layer of ferment. for more info on how to correct your batches, you might want to check out this site:

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/kombucha_balance/#Two Stage Bottling (the holy grail of kombucha brewing), I lea

Thanks for the link! It's great to get comprehensive info about KT without someone trying to sell me something

Back