suggestions for filtering/siphoning melomel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magelet

Reaction score
So I made a peach melomel last year, with the peaches (peeled) straight in the fermenter. The flavor is lighter than I'd like (given I had 18 lbs of peaches in 5 gallons), but my main issue was that getting it out of primary was a nightmare! I tried siphoning, but it had too much stuff in it and would get clogged. I tried siphoning with a hop bag over the tube, but I had to clear the hop bag and resiphon every minute or so, which made me concerned about diluting the mead. Eventually, I gave up, and put a grain bag over a funnel, and poured. It still took maybe half an hour because I kept having to stop and rinse the grain bag, because it would stop draining.

Clearly, I need another method for the next time I make a peach melomel, but in the meantime, I need suggestions for racking it out of secondary. It's much more filtered, but it still has a lot of little stringy bits of peach. I don't expect a totally clear mead, but I do want to get it to the point where it doesn't feel like there are strings in your mead. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with/clearing/filtering a melomel with a lot of little particles of fruit?
Thanks.

Time. Leave it sit, the chunks wil fall to the bottom.

Next time use a bucket for primary, and put the fruit in a jelly bag.

About the peach taste, maybe you should try putting the fruit in secondary next time as initial fermentation sends much of the taste away with the escaping gas... You could even add some on is batch if you feel like it...

Latest posts

Back