Second year question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coosabrew

Reaction score
Second year hops. Have chosen four bines that will carry the load. On my Centennial, the bines seem to have additional bines coming out from the original bines near the base, not out of the dirt. Since I decided that four bines carry the load, do I cut the additional bines or let them grow? Last year I just trained everything that came up for root production and was not worried about cones. This year is obviously different. So, do I treat them as part of the bine and train them? I do not remember this from last year, may have happened and just did not notice. I know that some vines pop out for cones, but these are low.

No, I think that I am misunderstood. The bine that the growth is on is 6 feet tall. Only shows on the centennial. I am thinking that is a characteristic of the variety? I have 5 varities, all are sprouted and climbing, the centennial just has additional bines growing from the bine about 6 inches from the mound. I think from the third leaf sprout from the ground.

Not saying that it can't happen, but generally if the growing tip of a vine is damaged, the plant's response is to call into action the buds that would have later in the season turned into sidearms (where the hops form). These will now become like a secondary climbing vine to take over for the damaged tip and will also form sidearms of their own later on in the season. I'd check to see if the tip of that vine happened to be busted off or something. If not, you got an odd ball as I've never seen anything like that happen over the last 25 or so years of growing hops, on a 'normal/healthy/undamaged' vine. If it isn't damaged, keep it and make cuttings ~ you may have something the breeders might be interested in. Hop On!

Kinda weird. One of the others is having the same thing happen. This is my best growing plant this year. No breaks of any kind. Guess that the only thing to go is let it ride, what's the worst that can happen, more cones?

Back