Grain in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have just drained my first runnings and I seem to have quite a bit of grain in my wort. I vorlaufed about 3qts and it looked like it was running clear so i decided to drain it. But now I have lots of grain pieces in. Oh and at the end tons of grain started coming out so I just shut it and sparged, is that also normal? I feel like this hasn't happened in most of my few all grain batches.

How much is too much grain and what did I do wrong? Should I have vorlaughed more? Not opened the valve up as much (it was under half way)?

Do I need to worry about anything because of the grains being in there?

Thanks for the help

2013-04-14 17.32.27.jpg

2013-04-14 17.32.37.jpg

So I have just drained my first runnings and I seem to have quite a bit of grain in my wort. I vorlaufed about 3qts and it looked like it was running clear so i decided to drain it. But now I have lots of grain pieces in. Oh and at the end tons of grain started coming out so I just shut it and sparged, is that also normal? I feel like this hasn't happened in most of my few all grain batches.

How much is too much grain and what did I do wrong? Should I have vorlaughed more? Not opened the valve up as much (it was under half way)?

Do I need to worry about anything because of the grains being in there?

Thanks for the help

You can use a hand strainer and strain them out if there is a ton of them, but I don't know how many "lots" is so I'd probably just ignore it unless there was LOTS! :D It looks like you're between lots and LOTS, so maybe a small hand strainer would do the trick for you, if you have one.

I crack open my valve a little bit at first, and then once it starts running clear, I open it full up. That sort of "sets" the grainbed and I get clean/clear runnings.

Thanks Yooper,
This is actually my second attempt at your DFH 60min. First was extract, this is my first all grain attempt at it. Pretty excited

I'm drinking that beer right now as a matter of fact!

Mine is really light colored, though, lighter than your wort. Of course, you just have the first running there. But I think the one I'm drinking now is lighter than the real DFH. The color doesn't matter, though, because I love the taste of simcoe and amarillo hops together. It's just soooo good!

Are you using a false bottom? if so it may have floated allowing grain to get under it.

I am using a false bottom. It does have some vinal tubing attached in the bottom as a dip tube. Should I add grain first or how does one stop a floating false bottom?

I always add water first, but sometimes that just happens. Aside from vorlaufing, as you have done, you can try opening the valve wider to set the grainbed before running off. Once the grainbed is set, the debris doesn't seem to get under the false bottom any more.

I use a false bottom with. Stainless steel connection tube it helps to keep the bottom down

I have a stainless steel connecting tube that really helps keep the bottom down.

If I end up with grain in my wort, I just run it back through my funnel/strainer before i start my boil. I usually find it was not all that much grain anyway.

I always run everything through a hand strainer.. the more times I brew, the less grain i find in the strainer but it is a nice little piece of mind and easy to do

Latest posts

Back