Yeast Failing to Proof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galexior

Reaction score
Greetings! I am currently (read, literally in the process of, as I type the must is sitting waiting for yeast) starting a batch of mead destined to be a strawberry mango mead.

I tried using a Lalvin EC1118 and RC212, but both of them failed to proof. I read the back and saw the words "Keep Refrigerated". They have been sitting on my desk for nearly 5 months.

Can anyone confirm that they in fact DID die because I did not refrigerate them?

Well, after a night of miserable brewing (all of my yeasts failed actually, except I think the last one had a few bubbles), I am rather eager to see how this batch turns out, if it even starts at all. Honestly, My hopes aren't very high. Ordering more yeast tomorrow, and I'll be ready to pitch a fresh yeast if things don't do anything by Tuesday.

I will be making two separate 3 liter batches of this strawberry mango. I found two 3 liter bottles of port at work (I work in a kitchen, it's where I get my free wine bottles too) and decided to make a 6 liter batch. I will rack them on to equal portions of crushed strawberries and mangos (eventually, I dont really know what I'm shooting for with melomels here, but it's late and there is plenty of time for research tomorrow).

I have used yeast stored for 2 years outside in a shed, temp -40 to +30, one year past the expirey date, and it worked no problem.

It may have killed the yeast, but I think it's more likely that the ph or OG was too high. It maybe must temp too hot.

I didnt even pitch them into the must. I rehydrated them in warm tap water, as per the directions on the back. the water was 98 degrees, while the pack said to use 104-108 degrees. I even waited longer. I still got no bubbles. I ended up pitching a packet of Red Star Montrachet (I didnt get any activity from that either actually). I checked it today and its bubbling away like nothing happened. At least it gave me that. I was rather upset I was having trouble last night. First I couldnt find my racking tube, then the yeast, then the yeast PROBLEMS, then I couldnt find my second airlock. I ended up finishing the batch up and half cleaning up before going straight to bed.

Here's to a good batch, after serious trouble last night. :mug:

I'm a little confused about your question. If you were just rehydrating the dry yeast with tap water how much activity would there be? I have heard about proofing dry yeast but I though you needed to add sugar for that. I have only used dry yeast a couple of times but I always rehydrated and pitched without ever seeing any activity. I hope it works out

I'm not sure anymore. I remember seeing activity in my first batch of yeast in my first batch of mead, so I was expecting it to happen again I suppose. Its fermenting away, so I gues its fine. Rather upset that I dumped 2 packets of yeast though...

Back