AG Batch Size Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennywisest

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off I would like to say thank you! This is my first post but I have been a long time reader of the site. Tons of information. Anyway I usually find any answers I need searching the forum, but this time I think I should post for specialized feedback.

I am starting my third year of brewing, second year all grain. I've recently been trying to focus my all grain brewing for accuracy. Before I have made fairly good brews all grain, but am looking to take my beer to the next level and quality control. I understand the only way to accurately calcute effeciencies it to brew and measure, and that is what I plan on focusing on in my next few brews.

My question is how much does batch size affect efficency? I usually aim to have 5.5 gals into fermenter. But would I be able to do smaller batches (3 gal) and still get accurate brewhouse calculations in regards to the 5.5 batches?

I only ask because I was looking to do a few SMaSH beers and don't want a full 5 gals of each. I was hoping to do smaller batches and still focus in my equipment effeciency ratings. I batch sparge in a 54 qt Coleman Xtreme cooler with a SS braid. Will the change in grain depth have a noticable effect in effeciency? Or can I adjust for that?

Any advice is much appreciated. :mug:

Back