Pre boil gravity reading-temp adjust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
I just mashed my 1st BIAB, going all grain this time. took a pre boil gravity reading, it was 1.042 @152 degrees. went on brewers friend.com did the temp adjust with my hydrometer calibrated at 60. It says the adjustment comes out to a 1.061, is that correct?

While they might give you numbers for wort that hot I would not really trust them. I pull enough wort for a sample and put it in the freezer while I get the boil going. By the time the boil is going it has cooled down enough to get a accurate reading.

Before I picked up a refractometer, I use to check pre boil gravity the same as you. Pull sample and measure around 150F and use the Beersmith refractometer tool to correct for temp. It always worked fine for me.

It all went well... 7.25 lbs grain, 4 gallon boil, post boil volume of 3 gallons, took reading , was at 1.062...too high for me, so I diluted to get to 1.052. 3.5 gallons final volume. Pretty happy with that.
6 lbs 2 row
.75 lb 60L
.25 Munich
.25 victory
10 QT mash at 152, sparge @170 till 4 gallons
.5 horizon 60min
.5 willamette 15
.5 cascade Flame out
S-05 dry yeast
should be a good beer

While they might give you numbers for wort that hot I would not really trust them. I pull enough wort for a sample and put it in the freezer while I get the boil going. By the time the boil is going it has cooled down enough to get a accurate reading.

I do this, putting a glass hydrometer in hot wort is going to stress the glass over time, which could lead to a broken hydrometer. Just cool it down, take your reading and toss it back in the boil.

Back