DME jelly like consistency after boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So quick question, I was using some DME for a starter, and I shut off my stir plate and I moved the solution into the fridge after it was done, what happens is after about 10 minutes there is an almost clay/jelly like white substance that forms on the bottom that I know is not yeast. I know this because I can pour off everything on top and it stays there.

Is there something wrong with the DME I'm using? Its Light DME, and I am making the starter using 4 cups water to 6 oz DME. What I'm thinking is that it might be old. (~4 months since I bought it at the store). But it has been in a gallon zip lock bag with a dessicate kit inside and in the pantry.

The white to cream colored stuff on the bottom is the yeast. Trub is a bit darker colored,& usually settles out first. That is to say,under the yeast layer.

Really? It has almost a lard consistency and I get it when I only put dme in, no yeast. I may make some just to take a pick

Did you boil some water to dissolve the DME in? you gotta do that first to get it well dissolved & cooled before proceeding with the starter.

Yeah I took the 2 quarts of water brought it to a boil, then added the 6 oz of DME and boiled it for 10 minutes.

Maybe it wasn't enough water? I'll make one tonight and then post a pic

I think the problem may be that I am boiling it to long for the pot that I have, it is a fairly wide pot and I notice that there is a large boil off in the 10 minutes, almost 1/2 of it. Would that cause the DME to come out of suspension.

I do leave the burner on high as its boiling, the pot is about 14 inches wide.

It is probably the proteins from the hot/cold break that you are seeing. Normally this would simply be considered "trub" when at the bottom of your fermenter.

When everything settles there will normally be two "levels" of sediment on the bottom of the container, one is yeast and the other is trub (like unionrdr said). Depending on the yeast, it may all look like the same color. If you make a starter, and don't pitch the yeast, what you will see settling on the bottom would just be the trub/break.

I think the problem may be that I am boiling it to long for the pot that I have, it is a fairly wide pot and I notice that there is a large boil off in the 10 minutes, almost 1/2 of it. Would that cause the DME to come out of suspension.

I do leave the burner on high as its boiling, the pot is about 14 inches wide.

Next time try using a sauce pan a 2qt one would be enough. With out seeing your boil you might be able to back off the heat once up to boil too.

Sounds like you made a reduction sauce.

Latest posts

Back