Gelatin While Cold Conditiong? (Lagering)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSager89

Reaction score
Here is the situation:

I have a Maibock currently in the Kreezer cold-conditioning. I say cold-conditioning because in the brew process I did the long primary @ ~50F Followed by a D-Rest @ 65-68F. After this I racked to a carboy and put into the Kreezer @ ~34F. The gravity when I put it in the kreezer was about 1.012, which is pretty much full attenuation. Since the I gave a thorough D-rest I was told it would be find to go ahead and just crash it for conditioning.

My question is, would the yeast still have enough effect on the beer that putting in a clearing agent (gelatin is my norm) early would affect it? I honestly have no issues waiting, I'm really just curious and would like to know for efficiency's sake for later brews if a situation ever comes up.

Thanks!!

:mug:

The purpose of lagering is to drop out polyphenols, and that should happen. I don't know if gelatin would be of any purpose as lagering should also clear the beer just fine.

Fair point. Like I said, I'm not in any real rush; this is one of my more expensive grain bills so I'm a lot more worried about it coming out well then speed.

The purpose of lagering is to drop out polyphenols, and that should happen. I don't know if gelatin would be of any purpose as lagering should also clear the beer just fine.

Ive used gelatin a few times. It seems to reduce haze, reduce hop bitterness and character. The beer is smoother by a great deal, but at some expense of character.

Latest posts

Back