Any tips for earning extra cash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry but that station wagon doesn't need a 7k paint job. I thought you were talking about a 67 GTO or something.

Not sure if I am allowed to ask this on the forums, but i want to make about $100/week extra part-time for a couple of years to get my project car painted.

The money needed is not to come from current earnings or out of the budget of any current projects.

Any ideas?

I was thinking bartending a couple of nights a week if my boss at the FT job will allow it.

Bartending or waiting tables at the right place can be damn good money.

Put some fuel injector cleaner in your car. I got an extra 100k to a tank. Er. Does that help at all?

This thread isn't about your 'opinion' of my ride. It should be about what you think is a good way to get some extra cash.

Turns out that I talked to my boss and he is giving me a $7K/year raise.

I understand that many people are not able to appreciate an iconic piece of American history, and therefore I feel that I am forced to expound:

1) stationwagons are a part of an american cultural heritage that has disappeared.
2) station wagons drive like a car but combine the best aspects of sedans and trucks.
3) my particular wagon has power seats, windows, steering, and a lot of other amenities offered in contemporary SUVs
4) all of the interior has been upgraded to provide 6 speaker surround sound, an overhead DVD player, and in-dash GPS, as well as IPod/flash drive/USB interface
5) one-0f-a-kind: even in the condition this vehicle is in, i get more stories and anecdotes and positive interaction than i do from my 93 corvette
6) stationswagons >>>>>> SUVs
7) my 76 Ford was built by Americans for Americans
8) I can smoke the tires off of the stoplight and out-tow and out-drag 95% of current SUVs and Trucks with my engine/tranny combo
9) HA! its a flippin station wagon -- 100x better than a minivan
10) relax -- have a homebrew

thread is not about cars -- it is about me making more money. Turns out that asking my boss for $7K ended up working out.

Trade the ugly wagon in for something that gets better gas millage and pocket the extra $.

Don't let the fools/jokers here bring you down. Everyone has their own "dream" car. I currently have a couple VW's ( 71 super, 72 bus) that I am working on upgrading/ restoring. Will these car (yours/mine) projects ever be worth the time,effort, and dollars we put in them... probably not. But hope you end up with what you want!

My awesome wagon will be awesome.

Also: anyone have any tips on making extra money? (comments on the wagon are funny, but not relevant)

If you can weld, you can make brew stands. It's around a grand to get the welding stuff, then about a hundred in tubing per stand. Then it's more $ if they want casters, burners, mounts, paint, pumps ect... But they are slow as heck to build, it's over a hundred 2" welds. But it's HB related. It's something that is hard to ship so people have to buy local.

Making some extra money turned out to be easier than you expected then. Congratulations!

I enjoy most things that are different or a little off center. I was expecting your typical American muscle car when I asked for a picture. I thought it was pretty awesome when I saw you were working on a station wagon.

People still love station wagons, they just don't call them that anymore. Look at all the Dodge Magnums, Subaru Outbacks, and compact hatchbacks driving around. They can call them what they like, they're station wagons, but with much less character than yours.

While your particular choice of a wagon isn't my favorite, 2 of my best cars ever were wagons. A Taurus wagon (199x) and my 2005 Ford Freestyle. Yes the Freestyle is technically a crossover, but it's just a tall wagon and its awesome. What I really want is an old BelAir wagon. That would be the best.

My awesome wagon will be awesome.

Also: anyone have any tips on making extra money? (comments on the wagon are funny, but not relevant)

Im sure it will. No disrespect for you or your ride. Just doing a little jokin. Sorry. Good luck on your project. Years ago I use to make extra cash by doing handyman jobs. It seemed there was always someone that needed something. Put your name out there and youll probably get more than you can handle. Be reasonable on prices and do it right the first time and people will keep calling back.

This thread isn't about your 'opinion' of my ride. It should be about what you think is a good way to get some extra cash.

Turns out that I talked to my boss and he is giving me a $7K/year raise.

I understand that many people are not able to appreciate an iconic piece of American history, and therefore I feel that I am forced to expound:

1) stationwagons are a part of an american cultural heritage that has disappeared.
2) station wagons drive like a car but combine the best aspects of sedans and trucks.
3) my particular wagon has power seats, windows, steering, and a lot of other amenities offered in contemporary SUVs
4) all of the interior has been upgraded to provide 6 speaker surround sound, an overhead DVD player, and in-dash GPS, as well as IPod/flash drive/USB interface
5) one-0f-a-kind: even in the condition this vehicle is in, i get more stories and anecdotes and positive interaction than i do from my 93 corvette
6) stationswagons >>>>>> SUVs
7) my 76 Ford was built by Americans for Americans
8) I can smoke the tires off of the stoplight and out-tow and out-drag 95% of current SUVs and Trucks with my engine/tranny combo
9) HA! its a flippin station wagon -- 100x better than a minivan
10) relax -- have a homebrew

thread is not about cars -- it is about me making more money. Turns out that asking my boss for $7K ended up working out.

Don't listen to the haters.

Restoring a classic car is about more than return on investment. If you love the car - LOVE THE CAR.

If it weren't for true believers like you, car shows would be all Corvettes and GTOs - boring! I'll take a well loved Chrysler Cordoba over yet another Buick Grand National every time.

You are doing god's work son - get down with your bad self.

I personally think the car is mean ass. Im a big car guy myself. I don't know if I'd drop that much money on paint tho. Theres a lot of guys that do over-alls on the side. Ask around. I was put in touch with a guy that worked for a local rod shop. Did an excellent job in his garage and only charged me like $1200.

Then take the money you save and buy you a matching '72 Ford Condor II...

Merry Christmas- shhiiter's full!
i028846.jpg

For that kind of money, I would seriously consider buying the equipment you need and some old junk cars for a couple hundred bucks to practice on. You could even recoup the money you spent on the tools by doing some paint jobs on the side.

For that kind of money, I would seriously consider buying the equipment you need and some old junk cars for a couple hundred bucks to practice on. You could even recoup the money you spent on the tools by doing some paint jobs on the side.

x2
Serious. A garage paint booth is not that hard to build and after a couple of practice cars you can get pretty decent. A good paint job on a car isn't about the paint. It's about the prep work.

Painting a car is 90% body prep, 10% painting.

Search several classic car forums, most have at least 1 or 2 guys who have built the full garage paint booth. And there are several places that sell the tools/equipment online as well.

Painting a car is 90% body prep, 10% painting.

Search several classic car forums, most have at least 1 or 2 guys who have built the full garage paint booth. And there are several places that sell the tools/equipment online as well.

A) The wagon is too long for most home garages -- definitely too long for mine :D
B) I thought the cost of learning and acquiring the tools might be less than the cost of having the paint job done by another -- but I don't know if I could ever approach the quality of work that someone with decades of experience would have.

Here is my reality check from station wagon owners:
http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24977

Back