Fermenation bucket hop smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch on Monday and when I went to grab my fermentation bucket it had a very strong hop smell and slight off white color to it. May last batch was a Extra Pale Ale extract kit from Northern Brewer. The bucket was aired out after cleaning a couple weeks ago. I did a little quick research and found that I shouldn't have any problems with the hop smell in the bucket. I sanitized with Star San in a spray bottle and left the bucket to sit for about 10 minutes while I cooled my wort. When I went to dump out the sanitizer I noticed it had a yellowish green tinge to it. I thought that was strange and smelled the bucket again after dumping it and the hop smell was pretty much gone. I'm guessing that the oils from the hops were still in the bucket, probably because I'm afraid to really scrub my bucket and get scratches in it. Then I sprayed Star San on it and the acid in the cleaner removed the oils hence the color of the sanitizer. Any other thoughts or tips? Maybe I will start cleaning my bucket with Star San and PBW?

I would toss in PBW, or Oxyclean, should help clear up any organic matter that's left. I use PBW to clean pretty much anything and am making the switch to a 30% mix of TSP/90 and 70% oxyclean which I read is suppose to be the same as PBW.

the problem with fermenting in plastic is that it gets discolored and starts to smell, especially after a particularly hoppy or dark batch. an oxy soak usually gets most of it, but a little bit of smell isn't going to harm anything as long as it doesn't smell sour or infected. you're right not to scrub, just wipe it down with a sponge afterward and rinse well.

A good Oxyclean soak always gets the smell out of my buckets.

All 3 of my buckets have a nice off white color to them.

I like the off color. It reminds me of high school football. No one wanted their helmet to be clean. The off colors and stains proved your battle experience.

A stained fermenter does the same.

24 hour Oxyclean soak for my buckets too. 2 batches I've made have stained my buckets: the RIS and the Surly Furious clone with like 10 or 11 oz of hops. I find that the smell subsides quite a bit if the bucket is soaked, rinsed, and stored dry for several days/weeks.

Unless you are making a very light cream ale, lager or wheat, I doubt the smells would transfer.

Back