Beer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrydcarter

Reaction score
I bottle my beers and I've noticed the the more bitter beers get worse as time goes on. I store in the top of a closet. Temp is not control well there. Is that the problem? I had an IPA I loved, it was great after the 1st month or 2 in the bottle. Then it just went south. After 6 months in bottle I almost don't want to drink it. Flavor, balance and bitterness are all off. What can I do to stop my good beer from turning into swill?

Hop bittering and aroma will fade quickly. IPAs should be drunk on the young side. Keeping the beers cool (cellar or refrigerator) after a proper conditioning period will help slow the process, but it won't stop.

It's the style that is your issue. Pale ales and average gravity IPA's are not meant to be stored for long periods. Bigger beers like imperial stouts and barley wines are meant for aging. In short drink em quicker and you won't have swill. If you can't drink all of it then give it away and make more.....good excuse to brew more right.....

Back