2x4x92 5/8 = WTF?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I should have read the sign better at my local Home Depot. I started building a cooler in my garage that will be cooled by an AC unit and a coolbot. As I started cutting, I noticed my 24" cuts came up short on the last section. After measuring I realized why. The boards were just a little over 92.5" in length! I looked at the tag/barcode on the end of the boards and they were indeed labeled 2.4x92 5/8. So when did HD start selling lengths that are not 96"? Other than the screwy length, they are very nice straight boards.

92 5/8" is designed to be used in an 8 foot wall with a single bottom and double top plate. Basically pre cut for framing a wall. I think they still sell 96" though. Maybe another stack or lumber?

You know, that makes perfect sense to me now. I even accounted for the thickness of the 2x4s when making my framing...I just ass-u-me that they were 8ft long doh:eek: I am usually pretty good at putting things together, but last night, my logic and common sense which I pride myself for having an abundance was turned off.

Back