First All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csells10

Reaction score
So yesterday I did a steep to convert kind of recipe. It was a Witbeer, and I've been a extract brewer for the past year. And I'm kinda hooked to all grain everything about it the smell of it was incredible. Even though the recipe called for wheat extract I loved it.

Does any one have a recommendation on a first all grain batch of beer that is a nice first start batch for a rookie as myself, although I don't have an igloo cooler to keep hot i do have a 8ish gallon pot...still working on a turkey fryer.

Thanks homebrewers!!!:ban:

You might want to consider BIAB brewing and you can search the various threads, there may even be a stickie explaining it.

As for easy recipes, really any sort of pale ale or IPA would work as a first AG brew. You can even do a traditional hefeweizen.

In short BIAB is mashing and boiling in the same vessel. All are done as full boils though so you will need to verify that your stove is capable of boiling 6-8 gallons of wort which many people find difficult on a stove.

Any type of wheat beer makes a good first batch. I would also recommend doing something as simple as a SMaSH pale ale. Something like 8 or 9 lbs of 2 row, Amarillo hops, and WLP001. That's a cheap batch, and gives you a chance to really know the flavor/aroma of that specific hop.

Take a look at BM's Centennial Blonde - do a search in here and you'll see it pop up all over. It's cheap, good and provides a pretty good base to experiment with down the road.

I think a stout would be a good choice. If you goof the mash it is not likely to be noticeable in the finished beer. Plus it is cool to see how dark the wort comes out from grains that really don't look that dark.

Cream of Three Crops is a pretty simple, small grain bill recipe that wows BMC drinkers and myself alike. You can use either BIAB as mentioned above or the wonderful tutorial for AG on stovetop that I believe DeathBrewer posted if you do not have the proper equipment for the more traditional AG brewing. Both methods make good beer.

Back