British Mild hop regime.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawbossFogg

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm mashing up 8lb 2-row, 8lb German pils, 1.5 lb Maris, 1 Cry 60, and .5 Cry 120 to be pitched with Lallemands British ale yeast. I'm kinda bent on a hallatertau/Saaz hop regimen, but I'm looking for thoughts and opinions on the application as well as other hop additions. Thanks!

Yeah, I'd go with british hops and avoid or really limit late additions. Maybe a 60 and a 15 minute add. A mild shouldn't be too hoppy on the nose.

Yeah I think a mild should be primarily Maris Otter with just a touch of chocolate malt and crystal. I don't think Pils malt would be appropriate for the style. As far as hops...I think you only need a bittering charge. I would suggest any UK hop of course but you could also get by with Northern Brewer or even Magnum.

I'd only care about the backpacking options up that way, I've done several trips out of the Red's Meadow/Agnew Meadow area.

Any reason you went with 2-row and Pils instead of Maris otter for the bulk of the grist? It's sort of the go-to base malt for English style beers.

bovineblitz said:
Saaz sounds weird in a mild.

Yeah, German and Czech hops in a British ale sound odd, but it's your beer OP. If it were me, I'd do a little bit of Northern Brewer or Willamette just for bittering.

daksin said:
Any reason you went with 2-row and Pils instead of Maris otter for the bulk of the grist? It's sort of the go-to base malt for English style beers.

I've got limited access to bulk malts so I used MO as a requisite adjunct. And as per some HBTalkers I've been mixing in Pilsner as base malt with little noticeable effect. I buy Pilsner bulk for summer beers.

drainbamage said:
Yeah, German and Czech hops in a British ale sound odd, but it's your beer OP. If it were me, I'd do a little bit of Northern Brewer or Willamette just for bittering.

Yeah I hear ya, I just like to goof off and impart some earthly flavors. It definitely tastes like British pub ale.

BlackGoat said:
I'd only care about the backpacking options up that way, I've done several trips out of the Red's Meadow/Agnew Meadow area.

It's fun country for packing, but there's snow on the ground for a long winter so you'd probably enjoy the ski :)

Back