What is the difference between "mash" and "steep" on hopville

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
Hopville is now called brewtoad...if I am not wrong but this is irrelevant.

My question is related to mashing. I wanted to use a mash tun cooler and "mash", but decided to brew everything in the very same pot. My question is: is there a difference on that website between "mash" and "steep" where one has to list the types of malt that will be used?

I dont know if now I need to change from "mash" to "steep", just because I wont use the mash tun but the pot. Nothing really changes when I alter these two factors.

Steeping is just that-steeping grains in a couple gallons of water that have already been converted. Like crystal & color/specialty grains. Tehe temp range for steeping isn't as critical either. !65 would be ok for a half hour steep. Mashing is different. Mashing is where yo use 1-1.5qts of water per pound of grains,containing base grains & others that must be mashed to let the enzymes convert starches to simple sugars. Grains that can be steeped are usually added to the mash for additional color,flavor,etc. Mashing is typically done between 147-ish to 160F. Usually 152-155F to be more exact.
And the mash temp must be held steady for 60 minutes.

Agreed with Union.

A steep is where you soak in hot water much like you would make a tea to extract flavor and color while a mash uses base grains and more time to provide enzymes to convert the starches to sugars as well as extract the color and flavors from the grains.

Back