What the crap?!!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejf063

Reaction score
Hi all,
Urgh! On Sunday I filled my second keg and for my keezer, hoping to have Memorial Day Weekend with a selection of home brew. I have 2 kegs filled in my 3 keg set up. One of my kegs, the ball lock, has been hooked up for weeks now and have enjoyed a beers from this batch. Prior to its current duties it had already serviced my neighbors and myself nicely, with no issues.
I just racked this newest batched into my pin lock keg, put the gas on, and attached my beer out hose-the same way I did my ball lock. The gas is on a splitter, and is at the “set it and forget” mode, set at about 10 psi. I was planning on just letting the batch sit til the weekend, giving it 8 full days to reach carbonation. However, since this is new and I wanted to try my green beer, I pulled the tap. What I noticed gave me that sinking feeling all of us newbies get when we think like we did something wrong. I instantly saw foam in the beer-out line. I could hear the beer rushing through the tap. I filled my glass and of course, the green beer in my glass looked fully carbonated – as a matter of fact, if you didn’t know it was tapped 15 seconds prior, you would think it was properly aged.
Anyway, I could tell something was not right, right away. I searched the forum and saw that maybe my beer line was too short, or the line was too warm. I fixed both of these-my beer line is now six feet long, and it was in the keezer over night. Hooked the lines up, and the same thing. What troubles me is I can see the foam in the beer line. I have not had this problem at all with the ball lock. Also, when I pull the tap, I can hear the beer rushing through the line. Again, ball lock, no problems no noises.
Can anyone come up with an idea as to why this is? The beer is not over carbonated, the lines are long enough, the ID is 3/16, all as per recommendation. Does a pin lock make more noise than a ball lock? All connections are secure and there are no leaks that I can tell. All o-rings were cleaned and lubed when the keg was purchased. Everything, with the exception of the kegs and co2 tank, are new. Perlick 525ss taps…….
Thanks you guys always have great advice!

I would guess there may be something interfering with the flow of beer somewhere in the system. Maybe there is some gunk in the out poppet? If you havent already you should probably take the out post off and check for blockage. Of course you want to relieve the pressure from keg first. (duh). It could also be the tap is not opening all the way or is partially blocked by something.

It sounds like it is higher pressure than the other keg.

unhook the gas, bleed off most of the pressure and serve a pint.

Latest posts

Back