Wanting to do a cherry wheat with flaked wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwlampy

Reaction score
Anybody use flaked wheat to make an AG cherry wheat or fruit wheat beer? I ended up with 6lbs of flaked wheat and I have plenty of 2 row. I was planning on using 6lbs 2 row and 3 lbs flaked wheat and maybe some medium crystal or something like that. I also have some cherry puree that I was going to put in my secondary and some cherry flavoring that I was going to put in my keg. I had a recipe and for some reason I don't now! I was planning on using my California ale yeast that I started yesterday. I don't have any wheat malt, not sure what I was thinking when I bought 6 lbs of flaked wheat. I must have been confused or drunk when I ordered it. Anyway, If any of you have had any experience in this or have any ideas I would like to hear any of them. Thx

Sounds like a nice concept. I would drop the crystal, you don't need it in a beer like this. I would also drop the cherry extract as it tends to taste like cough syrup.

Thanks, do you think this would be a good combination with 6lb2 2row and 3lbs flaked wheat?

Never tried it myself. Sounds like an interesting beer. What yeast are you thinking of using? I think a kolsch yeast might taste good in a beer like this.

I have a California ale yeast starter I was thinking of using, that's about all i have on hand right now.

6# of flaked wheat in a 5 gallon batch is quite a lot. One thing that I've done in the past in a cherry wheat is to add some Vienna along with the 2-row. Works nicely. I don't have the recipe in front of me but could post later when I get home...

I was planning on using 3 lbs of the flaked wheat and 6 lbs of 2-row. Hope it works out okay. I do have some crystal 120, and 20, some carpils, some english medium crystal, some choclate malt and some other dark malt. Does anyone think that any of those would go good with it?

I was planning on using 3 lbs of the flaked wheat and 6 lbs of 2-row. Hope it works out okay. I do have some crystal 120, and 20, some carpils, some english medium crystal, some choclate malt and some other dark malt. Does anyone think that any of those would go good with it?

I wouldn't add any crystal malt to a beer like this. It really doesn't fit.

Back