Importance of darkness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobysurfer

Reaction score
I'm comparing KombuchaKamp's recipe to that of Brooklyn Kombucha's and I notice that with the former, she stresses the importance of darkness and goes so far to say that light or opening the enclosure where your KT is stored during the fermentation process can ruin it. Brooklyn Kombucha on the other hand, flouts that idea and even suggests sitting your KT atop of your refrigerator! They do say not to allow for direct sunlight.

Who's right here? And why is light even a factor?

I'm comparing KombuchaKamp's recipe to that of Brooklyn Kombucha's and I notice that with the former, she stresses the importance of darkness and goes so far to say that light or opening the enclosure where your KT is stored during the fermentation process can ruin it. Brooklyn Kombucha on the other hand, flouts that idea and even suggests sitting your KT atop of your refrigerator! They do say not to allow for direct sunlight.

Who's right here? And why is light even a factor?

Both of my fermenters sit right on the counter in the kitchen to no ill effect.

Back