Kegerator build and beer line question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcman73

Reaction score
I just completed building my own kegerator and all went very well. The draft tower I purchased (dual tap) came with beer lines already attached...but they are only 4 feet. I've read that 10 is better to reduce / eliminate foaming.

I am going to try it with the 4 feet lines first to see what the outcome is but my question is this: If I need to go longer, can I use a barbed insert to attach another length of beer line to the existing one or will I be asking for trouble doing it this way?

I have often thought the same thing as you. Due to my paranoia, I bought new beer lines and replaced the old lines. I also used the crimp clips instead of the screw on ones cus the back of the tower fittings wont go over the screw clamps.

also, are you worried about more leak points with the barbed insert?

Low carb beers do fine with me with the shorter lines. However, I overcarb the pale and IPA, and they are super awesome with the 10' line. Its really nice to pour a glass of pale and see the co2 bubbles climbing up the glass.

Just replace the lines. At around $.50/ft you're talking about $10 to replace both lines with new 10ft lines. Using a barbed insert will create a point of cavitation in your lines which is exactly what you're trying to avoid...

Actually, it wasn't the cost of the lines, it was having to dismantle the tower. Do I need special faucet wrenches to get them off?

EDIT: Never Mind, found all the instructions on how to get the shanks out to replace the lines.

I bought a facet wrench and it sure makes things easier. They are also pretty cheap, like under 10 bucks.

Also, can you link the instructions? I have a hard time removing the facet on the back, sort of have to remove the top facets, then the bottom. Mine are 3 tap towers.

I bought a facet wrench and it sure makes things easier. They are also pretty cheap, like under 10 bucks.

Also, can you link the instructions? I have a hard time removing the facet on the back, sort of have to remove the top facets, then the bottom. Mine are 3 tap towers.

The instructions that i found were only for a dual tap tower. I can't find the link now but all I did was pop the top of the tower off and using small channel lock pliers, remove the lock nuts. I left the faucets on so I had something to hold while getting the lock nuts off. Once I loosed the locks nuts, I then removed the faucets from the front, rotated the shank (where the beer lines attaches too) so I could get the screw on the hose clamp to loosen it, slid the hose clamp down and removed the lock nut and the plastic shim.

Just replace the lines. At around $.50/ft you're talking about $10 to replace both lines with new 10ft lines. Using a barbed insert will create a point of cavitation in your lines which is exactly what you're trying to avoid...

I just increased my line length after living with 5' for longer than I should have. I thought I had it dialed in pretty good, so I stuck with them. I was wrong. I should've made the change sooner.

I just increased my line length after living with 5' for longer than I should have. I thought I had it dialed in pretty good, so I stuck with them. I was wrong. I should've made the change sooner.

What did you increase it too? What serving pressure did you set it too? I changed mine to 10' and set the CO2 to 6PSI. Was still getting a lot of foam but then realized the beer line was all over the place in the kegerator. I neatly coiled up the line and set it on top of the corny keg. Now on the first pour I'll get about and 1"-1.5" inches of foam and the rest is good, at least for today it is. I am going to go get some velcro straps so that I can use it to keep the beer line coiled up and attached to the top of the keg.

I think it also has to do with atmospheric pressure. I'm at 5k ft in altitude, and run a 10' line. Its not all for not however, much easier to shorten the line.

What did you increase it too? What serving pressure did you set it too? I changed mine to 10' and set the CO2 to 6PSI. Was still getting a lot of foam but then realized the beer line was all over the place in the kegerator. I neatly coiled up the line and set it on top of the corny keg. Now on the first pour I'll get about and 1"-1.5" inches of foam and the rest is good, at least for today it is. I am going to go get some velcro straps so that I can use it to keep the beer line coiled up and attached to the top of the keg.

I increased them to 10". I even bumped up the the pressure a little more. I'd have to check, but I think I'm around 12 PSI.

Latest posts

Back