Can 11.5 gallons of wort be boiled in a 13gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am trying to make a 10 gallon batch and according to the recipe...the size of my wort is going to be 11.5 and it will go down to 10 gallons eventually.

Can I boil that much wort with only 1.5 gallon extra space left in the pot?

I have boiled over 8 gallons in my 10 gallon pot multiple times. That is normally when I am doing a 90min boil so for the first 30 mins I keep an eye on the pot and make sure I am close to the regulator valve on my propane so that I can turn it WAY down when I see my wort creeping towards the edge of the pot. In other words it is completely possible just keep an eye on it.

keep a spray bottle with water in it, stray it if it foams up and Stir, Stir Stir.

I second the use of fermcap. Just a few drops should knock down the foam with some stirring. Monitor the boil closely and cut the heat when you add hops until they combine well, then fire it back up. I boil 10.6 in my 12g kettle all the time, like every single batch. No boilovers, ever.

I do 9 gallons in an 11 gallon. I kill the heat to almost nothing once I start to see it foam then stir while slowly bring the temp back up. I do it outside on a propane burner so if I boil over a little (hasn't happened yet), the tears from the angels when they are low on their share will wash it off.

All of the above, and don't have your burner going full blast. Just keep it at a nice rolling boil.

In my experience hop additions case some issues with boil overs. Be extra cautious when you add the hops.

Shall I just added it very slowly instead of dropping the whole amount for bittering/or aroma in the pot?

Back