Budweiser clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try the Cream of Three Crops recipe. Maybe increase the rice and decrease the 2row and corn. Also maybe some table sugar to dry it out. It's an ale and Budweiser is a lager but it will probably be similar. If you have the capability to lager your brew than maybe use a lager yeast and go that route.

Not even going to ask why you'd want to clone Bud. I'll assume it's to please some bmc drinking friends.

extra-light/pilsen DME or pilsen malt. your going to need a lot of rice 20-40% of your grainbill. rice extract or boiled mashed.

very little hops and noble hops even for bittering.
tettnanger, sazz, hallertaur, might get away with mt hood.

us-05 on the cold side can get you close but a true clone is going to need a lager yeast and temp control

extra-light/pilsen DME or pilsen malt. your going to need a lot of rice 20-40% of your grainbill. rice extract or boiled mashed.

very little hops and noble hops even for bittering.
tettnanger, sazz, hallertaur, might get away with mt hood.

us-05 on the cold side can get you close but a true clone is going to need a lager yeast and temp control

Sounds good. I was thinking that 05 can come pretty close.

I think so. I keep mine around 68. Even 65 for the first 3 days and it's very clean and almost lager-like

White Labs Cry Havoc yeast is the Budweiser yeast. I made a pale lager steam beer which has a finish very similar to Bud.

PS. I think Bud is a great beer and a true clone would be quite an achievement considering how clean Bud is. No room for error.

Ok guys. I live around St Louis and have never made beer at all. I've started making wine about 5 weeks ago and I like it, but my brother wants to make beer. I'm up for all of it. Beer, wine, wiskey. Just to try different things. But I have no clue what I'm doing. I have a home brew store 8 miles away that has everything I want to make all of it. But ain't got a clue what to make so we choose bud light. So if there's better than that. Which I know there is. Point me in the right direction, cause I'm lost.

Ok guys. I live around St Louis and have never made beer at all. I've started making wine about 5 weeks ago and I like it, but my brother wants to make beer. I'm up for all of it. Beer, wine, wiskey. Just to try different things. But I have no clue what I'm doing. I have a home brew store 8 miles away that has everything I want to make all of it. But ain't got a clue what to make so we choose bud light. So if there's better than that. Which I know there is. Point me in the right direction, cause I'm lost.

I'm going to recommend the Centennial Blonde. You can't go wrong with that. Any questions, send me a message.

Thank you. We still have to get all the equipment and ingredients to make beer. But it wont be long. What's the average abv% of home brewed beer?

You can make the abv anything that the yeast can handle. Usually up to 11%. You can get started under $50. Get a bucket fermenter with lid and airlock, thermometer, muslin bag and ingredients.

ABV of most homebrewed beer is in the 5-6% range, i'd say, but you can make a light session beer at 3% or a monster barley wine at 10% or higher. however, it's harder to make those big beers - don't start there, make your first few beers something in the average range. that will allow you to get your process down, and hopefully learn about the subtleties of brewing a big beer (hint: it's more than just using more grain/extract).

and a bud light clone is a not a good place to start, IMO: it's a lager (so you need more cooling equipment) and it's very light so flaws are very apparent (nothing to hide behind). i'd start with a pale ale, or IPA, or a porter, or a stout... pretty much any average-strength ale.

I can fill a keg with an all grain Tripel for less than it costs for a keg of Bud here.
Why do anything less?

When making beer. Can it sour like wine and be undrinkable. Or is it a little easier to make.

When making beer. Can it sour like wine and be undrinkable. Or is it a little easier to make.
yes, beer can become infected with wild yeast, bacteria, etc and be ruined. however, it isn't hard to keep things sanitary and keep the risk of infection to a minimum.

some people put some "infection"-type bugs into their beers on purpose: they're called sour beers, or wild beers (geuze, lambic, flanders red, oud bruin, brett beers, etc).

I thought it would do that. Just wanted to ask. And if I make a batch (small) do I have to bottle it in normal beer bottles. Or can I do it bulk. All in one bottle.

I can fill a keg with an all grain Tripel for less than it costs for a keg of Bud here.
Why do anything less?
Challenge. Novelty. Personal satisfaction.

Your perception is that Bud is a lesser beer than your Tripel. That's fine, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of agreement amongst the members of this forum, but this guy doesn't want a heavy Belgian beer. Either help or be quiet.

Well it sounds like he's gonna struggle to make a Bud clone without lagering facilities, so as others have suggested trying to make a dry pale ale would probably be the best idea.

If you have wine fermenting kit already you can just ferment in the same demijohns/buckets (depending what you use).

I thought it would do that. Just wanted to ask. And if I make a batch (small) do I have to bottle it in normal beer bottles. Or can I do it bulk. All in one bottle.

You can bottle it however you want - I use a mix of 330ml, 500ml and 660ml bottles, I understand in the US you have 75cl and 2l "growlers" you can use too. I also have a couple of 5l mini-kegs which are pretty good.

Corked wine bottles probably won't hold the pressure of carbonation though if that's what you meant - I think the cork would just come out.

Biermunchers 3-c recipe is pretty good. I tweaked it adding more rice and less corn to make a beer my hardened bud light drinkers will drink.

I would not start with a lager at first. They can be tricky and fickle to say the least and for my taste buds not much better than a ale.

Thanks guys. I've never done beer. So I don't wanna start out making the best yet. So I'm looking for easy and newbee friendly but with a good taste.

Thanks guys. I've never done beer. So I don't wanna start out making the best yet. So I'm looking for easy and newbee friendly but with a good taste.

Making beer for the most part is very easy other than waiting for it to be done. A good thing to do is get some books on brewing and read up some. And this site has a ton of good info on getting started

Rock on man and enjoy your beer

i'd suggest going with a nice american pale ale. hard to go wrong there (at least in picking the style... how the beer turns out is up to you :mug:)

It all depends on your tastes. The Cream of 3 Crops is great. I made up 10 Gal cheaply and it is very Bud-ish. To start out though, decide on one style (preferably an ale over a lager) and make that a few times. The darker, more roasty beers will cover over any off flavors better, but brew the type of beer you like. Brown Ales, Red's a simple Stout, even a Pale Ale or an IPA all are reasonably easy to make if you maintain fermentation temps and pay attention to sanitation. Basically clean everything thoroughly and sanitize anything that touches the cool wort/beer.

Let us know if you have any specific process related questions, we are happy to help, and happy brewing. Just because it is your first beer brew, doesn't mean it will be awful.

If you can't lager, leave out all but 1 lb of the pilsen. When not lagered, pilsen malt is flavorful!

I would go:
8 lbs of pale 2 row
1 lb pilsen

.5 oz hallertaur 60 minutes

Kolsch yeast

Yooper's Fizzy Yellow has been a hit with my BMC friends and family. Easy to brew and is also my go to lawnmower and home repair beer

bscott1011 said:
Yooper's Fizzy Yellow has been a hit with my BMC friends and family. Easy to brew and is also my go to lawnmower and home repair beer

I second this. I just made this for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. Same story, most people won't appreciate my taste in beer. It's carbing now but taste good flat.

You can easily brew a 5 gallon batch of Bud...

For a 5-gallon batch:

O.G. should be around 1.030.
F.G. should be < 1.008, preferable about 1.000.

2lbs 2-Row Pale Malt
2lbs 6-Row Pale Malt
2lbs Flaked Rice
1oz. Saaz (3.5AA) 60 min.

Mash @148 for 90mins.

Boil for 90mins.

Perform lager fermentation using Wyeast Pilsen Lager 2007 (The Budweiser Strain).

When time comes for diacetyl rest add 1 tsp of Amylase Enzyme to fermenter (rest for about 3 days).

Total time on aformentioned steps should be about 2 weeks (14 days).

Lager for 14 days and keg or bottle.

Enjoy a tasty brew! It's amazing that Bud goes from grain to glass in 28 days.

You might also try using 'TetraHops' or HopExtract as an alternative to the real thing!

bobmcstuff said:
You can bottle it however you want - I use a mix of 330ml, 500ml and 660ml bottles, I understand in the US you have 75cl and 2l "growlers" you can use too. I also have a couple of 5l mini-kegs which are pretty good.

I bottle into growlers when I can, they hold ~1/2 gallon of beer. They're much easier to handle than bottles, just make sure to use 'flip-top' growlers with thick lass, NOt the thin-glass screw-top ones

I bottle into growlers when I can, they hold ~1/2 gallon of beer. They're much easier to handle than bottles, just make sure to use 'flip-top' growlers with thick lass, NOt the thin-glass screw-top ones

I wish we had those! I mainly use a mix of 500ml flip tops and regular crown sealers, being able to bottle 2l at a time would save time on bottling day...

I've never seen them in the UK though.

Back