Brown bottles vs all others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
So what's the big stink about using only brown bottles. I have clear, green, blue and different shades of brown. If the beer is stored in a box, in my closet, then refrigerated, what's the problem?

Brown bottles help prevent the risk of skunky beer from UV light.
If your beer is protected at all times and never exposed to UV light even from indoor lighting, then no big deal at all. Use what you got!

Light only skunks the hops. You don't have to worry if its holding cider.

If they are covered from light though, don't worry and use whatever.

Same as above. I use brown, green, blue, clear but my bottles never see the light of day until I drink them.

Ya that's good info. I was starting to stockpile clear cleaned Corona bottles. So I'm glad I keep mine in apple boxes and in the closet until I move to the fridge.

I use all colors, but most are brown. I think the skunking risks are overblown, but long term stuff goes in brown.
I have some older redhook bottles that are so light, they are closer to yellow than brown.

For beer thats going into boxes, aged in a closet and isn't going to be sitting in the sun in an open ice chest at a BBQ, I'd rather have the extra batch or so of clear/blue/green/yellow storage than stop using them.

I use all colors, but most are brown. I think the skunking risks are overblown, but long term stuff goes in brown.
I have some older redhook bottles that are so light, they are closer to yellow than brown.

For beer thats going into boxes, aged in a closet and isn't going to be sitting in the sun in an open ice chest at a BBQ, I'd rather have the extra batch or so of clear/blue/green/yellow storage than stop using them.

I dunno, I've read experiments on this. Beer in clear bottles skunked literaly in minutes when exposed to sunlight.

Do note, though, that brown glass still skunked when exposed to sunlight.... it just took longer.

Keep it out of the sun, and you are fine.

This is why I'm gravitating towards ceramic bottles, which are completely opaque. I reckon that no light = no skunking, and no skunking = better beer.

Problem is, those bottles, which only St. Sebastiaan and Rogue seem to sell in my area, aren't very easy to find, and the beer they contain costs a fortune. I've asked Rogue where they get their bottles, and all they would say is that they come from Europe, and are really difficult to get.

Back