Extract Kit Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinND

Reaction score
I have a simple and probably stupid question. Is there a difference between the "specialty grains" that come in most extract kits and the various malt grains that are available for separate purchase from brewing supply stores? Your help and knowledge are greatly appreciated.:mug:

BrewerinND said:
I have a simple and probably stupid question. Is there a difference between the "specialty grains" that come in most extract kits and the various malt grains that are available for separate purchase from brewing supply stores? Your help and knowledge are greatly appreciated.:mug:

Not really, if you want to ensure freshness you can follow recipes and mill your grain prior to steeping. I have bought kits where the grain was a bit stale because it must have been milled much in advance of me getting my hands on it. A good LHBS should offer all of the specialty grains you may want to use and in addition have milling capabilities. If they don't have a mill, I have had great results from using a Corona style mill and I only paid about $40 for it.

There are differences in grains. base grains and many others must be mashed. Crystal & some specialty grains can be steeped,as can color grains.
Make sure they can be steeped before buying them. I suggest studing grains a bit more first.

Back